Electric Supplier Generation Choices

hans1976

I got something in the mail yesterday letting me know that we now have a choice as to who generates our electricity. The company is Levco Energy. Currently, CL&P charges us 11.606 cents per KWH for generating electricity. This new company will charge us 10.97 cents per KWH. CL&P will continue to deliver the electricity (at around 6.5 cents per KWH) and will be responsible for outages, etc.

All the billing will be done by CL&P. In effect, what we are doing is telling CL&P to get our electricity from Levco instead of from the grid.

In my case, this is going to save me $15 a month. But I am wondering, does anyone know of any other companies that are supplying electricity to our area (not counting those who live in Wallingford where they almost give it away)?

Are there any drawbacks for selecting the cheaper source? If there isn't any difference other than rate, this is crappy that we have to ask for the cheaper source.

Jeff, I looked into that a couple months ago. If I recall there was one other provider coming online. I'll see if I can locate their contact. I was a little miffed that there was only about a .5 cent discount.

They claim that:
"It is free to switch"
"You can cancel at any time"
"The rate is guarenteed through the end of the year".

I talked to CL&P and there is no charges on their end for switching.

I can't see any reason not to switch....

Vince, thanks for the link. I don't see any better offers.

Last edited:
well, that list explains why there's not much of a change in price. there arent very many suppliers for residential...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10451392#post10451392 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ctreefer
Jeff, your electric bill must be $400+ to save $15 per month. Ouch!

Vince, if you're right then that would mean I would save a measly $7-$10/mo. Not even worth my time really.:(

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10451392#post10451392 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ctreefer
Jeff, your electric bill must be $400+ to save $15 per month. Ouch!

You got it....$425 budget plan. Part of the house is electric heat and we have 2 central air conditioners. In the coldest months, the bill can run $700.

Cato, it you want to give away $10 month, I wll take it :D :D :D

Seriously, that would allow you to add another frag tank without the wife even realzing it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10451738#post10451738 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chirocato
Vince, if you're right then that would mean I would save a measly $7-$10/mo. Not even worth my time really.:(

Scott, that's how I felt too. If they would have made it more like a penny or more I'd take advantage of it, but for $6 per month in my case it just made me angrier. :mad2:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10451880#post10451880 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hans1976
You got it....$425 budget plan. Part of the house is electric heat and we have 2 central air conditioners. In the coldest months, the bill can run $700.

Cato, it you want to give away $10 month, I wll take it :D :D :D

Seriously, that would allow you to add another frag tank without the wife even realzing it.

Jeff, don't feel so bad. I have a coworker who owns a cape in Bristol with electric heat (no AC) and his budget plan just went up to $650 per month! I'd say its time to convert to another heating system!!! (BTW, no fish tanks either to blame it on.)

I need to forward this post to my wife... she's complaining about our $216 electric bill...which includes the pool running daily and the ac whenever we need it.

This came up at the bbq yesterday. Here is the link for CL&P customers to go and download the form so you can start saving money.

LEVCO Energy

It's simple, painless and free.

Thanks for the link, I forgot the name after we spoke. I guess I feel better about my over $300 bill last month :)

We switched to Levco Tech (Dominion Retail) when they became available to CL&P customers last year. They sent us a letter in mid-July that says effective Aug. 1st, the generation price is $0.1152 /kWh. Which is lower that what it was....it says it will be in effect until the end of the year.

The number in the letter for questions is 800-400-5574.

Dont understand the price jargon with the electric. That mx one. Is that cheaper then the levco or is it more? Im game on the cheaper electric.

Guys/gals, I'm a little confused. Jeff, you said their rate was 10.97 cents for generation service per killowatt/hr, but tvguy has a price of 11.52 cents. Did they just raise their rates? Currently UI charges 11.90 cents per killowatt/hr so I'd be saving less than 0.4 cents, but if the rate is under 11 its close to 1 penny which is a difference of either paying $3 per month less (not worth my time) or $7 per month less (marginally worth my time)

elec002.jpg

elec1003.jpg

All you have to do, is fill out the form and the savings start immediately. You still have only 1 check to write out.

Even if you only end up savng $3 a month, that adds up to $35 a year - and for no effort.

Last edited:
Sorry Karen, I didn't understand your question the first time (a little slow here).

I think that means that MxEnergy is the company generating your electricty instead of UI. So you are saving .1 cents off the UI rate. Are you also paying a distribution charge on top of that?

You live near ctreefer and I think you would have the same electric companies so hopefully he can answer that.

Back