electrical costs of metal halide lamps?

kware

Does anybody know of a way or a formula to figure out how much electricirty it will use and how much it will cost to switch to metal halide lighting system?. My electrical bill is over $200 a month now without metal halides. I don't want it to raise much more.

dude, easy. a 250watt light uses 250watts! run it for 4 hours and you now have yourself 1 kwh. (kilowatt hour). Look at your electric bill to see what you are being charged per kwh... do the math from there

no problem. also you can get a thing called a "kill a watt" that you hear a lot about on these forums. It's about 30 bucks and can tell you exactly what each piece of equipment is pulling. sometimes the watts quoted on pumps and other various things only draw thaty much at start up and may in fact be pulling less. anyway, for $30 they're pretty cool.

thanks
My electric company charges 8.5 cents per kwh.
1 250 watt lamp running for 12 hours a day is what I want.
watts X Hours per month X .001 = total kw hours
250 X 360 X .001 = 765 cents or $7.65

you got it. or u can go 3 kwh per day = 25.5cents per day times 30. Boy I wish I lived wherever u are. I'm in So. Cal. running 3 X 250w. @ 15.5 cents kwh.

A 250W bulb does not always use 250W, it really depends on the ballast. Some electronic ballast can draw 250W, other HQI can draw up to 330W.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11667382#post11667382 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bdif
Freed, you pay less than 2 cents /KWH? Where do you live? At the sub-station?

Time of use meter.

Where are you at that it costs 200 a month. Thats insane. For me even in the middle of summer with the ac on all the time it never goes over 100.

Here in Phoenix, we reefers have regular $400+ power bills in the summer. And, we've got the SuperBowl too. :frog:

Back