Electricians: Can I run 2 12v CPU Fans....

Running more voltage through the motor would most likely increase rpm. The thing is that motor isn't designed to handle that load. It's going to heat up... It may work for awhile maybe just shorten the life of the fan.. But at worst it could cause a fire. I personally would just buy a fan with more CFMs Why risk it?

yeah, fire doesnt sound like a great idea.

Ill give it a shot with the current adapter and if that doesnt work Ill look at other fans. I went with Noctua fans to get the benefit of both quiet operation and high CFM, but I may end up having to give up some quietness for some more CFMs....we'll see.

Thanks for the help

sorry, misread the question.......you are right nino ;).......if you overpower the fans they will just over heat and burn out faster. Better to put higher quality fans in.

That will just give him the results he's getting with the power supply he had already. He was looking to overdrive. More power uhhhh uhh uhh like the tool man. Lol

Actually though, right now I have a 12v adaptor wired to the two fans in series. Doesn't that mean that each fan is only getting 6v with what DrThompson is saying? If I use the 24v adapter, won't that give each fan the full 12v, thereby giving it more RPM (and what they are rated for) than I am getting now?

Actually though, right now I have a 12v adaptor wired to the two fans in series. Doesn't that mean that each fan is only getting 6v with what DrThompson is saying? If I use the 24v adapter, won't that give each fan the full 12v, thereby giving it more RPM (and what they are rated for) than I am getting now?

Yes, or you could just rewire them in parallel so they get 12v each. No need to buy another adapter.

Sorry, confused.

I basically took the black wire coming out of each fan (one black wire for each fan) and "wire nutted" them to the black wire coming out of the adapter. Then I did the same for the red wires in each fan.

Is that what you mean?

As an FYI, it's a switchable AC adapter. The fans will run on any setting from 4.5v - 12v. Obviously, I have it set at the 12v.

Sorry, confused.

I basically took the black wire coming out of each fan (one black wire for each fan) and "wire nutted" them to the black wire coming out of the adapter. Then I did the same for the red wires in each fan.

Is that what you mean?

As an FYI, it's a switchable AC adapter. The fans will run on any setting from 4.5v - 12v. Obviously, I have it set at the 12v.

That is Parallel DC wiring, both fans are getting 12v.

Last edited:
That is Parallel DC wiring, both fans are getting 12v.

Ah ok....so in that case buying the 24v adapter and doing the same thing will in fact burn out my fans and possibly cause a fire. bad idea.

If I need it, I'll just get more powerful fans and give up the quietness. Hopefully I won't.

Thanks for the help guys.

Back