electricity costs

It's actually 4.something cents. Our electric is deregulated so the state "provider" charges a 2.something delivery fee, then the taxes and other service fees. I say 8 cents because that's what I get when I take the total kwh and divide by my bill. Not complaining though. I know some people that are paying way less on short term contracts. I locked in for 2 years

Deregulated is just another way of saying- Raise rates at will. You guys need to go to the state house and fight back. All deregulated electric does is put money in different company's pockets and out of yours. How can a bunch of different companies split up the same amount of customers that one company had and end up with lower rates? It is the bigest joke ever. When it was talked about here and I asked, I was told that people wanted choices My answer was and still is, no one wants to pay more for electric.

Deregulated is just another way of saying- Raise rates at will. You guys need to go to the state house and fight back. All deregulated electric does is put money in different company's pockets and out of yours. How can a bunch of different companies split up the same amount of customers that one company had and end up with lower rates? It is the bigest joke ever. When it was talked about here and I asked, I was told that people wanted choices My answer was and still is, no one wants to pay more for electric.

I know some other states had opposite results, but so far in Texas it's been a good thing. We pay less now than when the market was regulated 14 years ago. It's hard to beat 7 cents, so no I won't be going Austin and fighting back. Lol. The city next to mine is still regulated and they pay 14+ cents per kwh. Another positive is an large growth of green electric. You can choose to buy clean energy for a higher price.

Half my town is in a coop and not regulated. They have lower rates than we do and they mail a check to customers each year if they profit. So it's a lil weird on how this deregulation worked.

All I know is at the time this all was starting our rates were around 7 cents. As far as I can see from 7 cents there is only one way for rates to go. I think our rates are 9 or 10 cents now as rates went up to pay for a coal price spike. They should drop some next year. It would be nice to get an electric check. :) I still do not see how you can take x number of dollars that used to go to one company and split it up between a bunch of other companys and have a viable electric company - long term. Who pays to replace the rotted poles and other maintaence ? Look at what has happened to the airline industry , flying is cheaper but is it better ? How about the trucking industry, they coast shiffted their trucks saftey to the federal government. DOT jobs came about with trucks loosing brakes , ect. Sorry about the rant, I just remember how things used to be.

Last edited:
All I know is at the time this all was starting our rates were around 7 cents. As far as I can see from 7 cents there is only one way for rates to go. I think our rates are 9 or 10 cents now as rates went up to pay for a coal price spike. They should drop some next year. It would be nice to get an electric check. :)

I think a large portion of ours is natural gas and that market has plummeted. Would not be surprised to see even lower rates soon.

And I don't understand the Co Op. I lived over there for a few years and got 10-20$ back a year. Moved 4 years ago to deregulated side of town. The kicker is they STILL send me a check for 10$ a year. Not a complaint but I don't understand. Maybe they buy electric futures and I'm somehow still on that list. Dunno and I don't ask ;)

Mmiller40gt, I work for a co-op.. Normally their captial credit checks run about 20 yrs in arrears so you will most likely receive checks for quite some time.

Here our rate is (I think they call it regressive) -- the more electricity you use, the cheaper it is... back when I lived in NY and in NH, it was progressive(?) meaning the more you used the more expensive it became... CRAZY!

Your rate changed, or you are on a tier pricing and you used enough to get into the next billing rate. I really would not expect the LEDs to save as much as you are hoping, though those T5 bulbs get expensive fast so you will save there. Really, really research the LED lighting...the commercial fixtures now have only just begun to incorporate multiple spectrums so its still being tuned some.

I don't know how you people on tiered programs don't pick up pitchforks and torches. I could see tiers, but the kwh that some of these kick in at is ridiculous.

Hi Everyone. Someone mentioned upgrading a heater earlier, could you please explain? How do different heaters save you money? Any type that you recommend? I'm currently setting up a 220 gallon and would love to purchase the most energy efficient equipment.

As for the pumps, it seems reeflo is good choice. any opinions?

thanks!

I feel your pain!

I feel your pain!

Im here in California too, but the central valley with multiple days of 100+ degree weather in the summer time. Im running a 300 plus gallon system with a dolphin 7200 return pump for all of my equipment and 96 led light set up and a chiller for those hot days. My PGE went from $100 a month to $340 with the WH lights. I switched to the 96 led's and now i stay at about $270. Aug/2013 was $420 due to the heat, had to use the chiller. no heat it stays at about 270. cold puts me at about 340 due to the two 500 watt heaters. LED's help but everything uses power. Check you fridge, electric dryer the big ticket items make sure they are running clean.

Solar will off set the usage a lot, if you have the room for a large solar system go with a 100% use solar system, not the 80% they try to sell. and start selling power back to greedy PG&E. When the dollars line up thats where Im heading.

PGE.jpg

Pretty common if you ask me.. My bill jumped the same with 8x54W T5s as well. The electricity cost jumps exponentially with proportional usage due to the tier costs. I also run two heaters and a big return, big skimmer.. all that adds up to the bill.

I'm switching to Hydra52s (have it on pre-order) so I will tell you how much electricity I save..

One thing to note is that I just set up 30 solar panels that's producing roughly 1100 kWh of power a per month on average. I'm tired of paying a fat electricity bill..

885811_10151667401547721_248548408_o.jpg

1401247_10151667401562721_1738011860_o.jpg

Before the tier my highest bill was 135 a month in the summer now my highest bill is 450 in the summer same house same people actually use less than before, my average is about 200 a month. PS 1300 sq house. Oh yeah the rate is going up again .

Back