Elegance Coral update

EricHugo

Premium Member
This is a bit of a teaser, but I have finished examing all the elegance corals donated by aquarists to determine why they have poor survival. After examining all specmens, and pending the results of electron micorscopy work, I have seen what appears to be a number of conditions affecting the tissues, two of which stand out remarkably. I have finished taking the microscopy images, and will select those which best define the variations seen, and will be consulting next week with some histopathologists to discuss what I have found. Initially, I believed that the presence of fungal filaments were the most common and likely pathogen or entrance for other pathogens. Now, I feel otherwise. i will not make any further comments until I have seen and/or done electron microscopy and collaborated with other experts in the field. However, the microscopy has been fascinating and there appears to be at least one, perhaps two, common threads going on with these corals. I will be posting photos and further commentary here at Reef Central where members helped fund this work, on my forum at Marine Depotr, and on my website www.ericborneman.com hosted by Reefland.com.

Back