Emergency - Running Sedra 5000 pump on Euro-Reef R5-3?

cmtbears21

Hey there,

I recently acquired a Euro-Reef skimmer which I misjudged to be a larger model and went ahead and purchased a Sedra 5000 pump for it.

I then found out that it is a Euro-Reef RS5-3 model, which is usually shipped with a Sedra 3500 pump!

I just received the Sedra 5000 pump today for it....can I go ahead and use it with the RS5-3 (will it perform just as well/better?) or do I need to exchange it? Will this be too much flow for the skimmer to handle?

Thanks!
-Matt

the2ofus

Premium Member
I'm not familuar with the Euro-Reef RS5-3 model, I would place a ball valve or gate valve on it if you need to slow things down. Or see if you can exchange it/return it for the other.

moondoggy4

Team RC
It should be too large I have both pumps and I have the CS 5/3. You should try to return it first because they may not take it back if it is used.

markandkristen

yep its going to be to much as others have said. you will end up with turbulance which will work against you in the long run...
jmo

hansmatt

I have a 5-3, and talked with ER when I first got it about upgrading the pump to the 5000, they said it would "blow the top off"...which may be an overstatement, but I don't think it woud be optimal. The gate valve mod and mesh mods really do work well for this skimmer...I have it on a 90g display/130total heavily stocked mixed reef, and have to empty the cup of thick stuff daily.

cmtbears21

Thanks so much everyone for their advice and thoughts!

Everyone was right about everything...I could not return it and so I was forced to try it out...it was just too much...

I am going to look into putting a ball valve into the line from the Pump to the Skimmer and see if I can dial in a perfect flow using that....anyone forsee any problems with this plan?

Or I guess I could try to sell the 5000 and use the money to then get the 3500...

Thanks!
-Matt

markandkristen

yeah i would sell it if it were me and use the proceeds for another pump .... that way it will run at optimal ...
sometimes less is more