emergency sea hare died, poison water?

carolgyrl1

my sea hare seemed like he was going to die, so I was trying to get him out of the water, well, he lodged really good into the rockes, so when I tried to get him , he released a purple volume into the water, now I am sure he is dying, because of my squeezing him, he is in my main rockwork, he is a rally big one, do I have to go and get him out, wilol he poison my tank?

No he isn't going to poison your tank. The ink they shoot out is just like a squid, it's just to cloud the water so they can escape the predator. It isn't going to hurt anything but a large seahare could spike your nitrates if he dies in the tank isn't removed. I would try to get him out if you can but probably isn't work taking the whole tank apart over. Just from him shooting ink, doesn't necessarily mean he is dying, he might have just been trying to get away from you. But no poison involved so you are safe.

How are your other remaining inhabitants reacting? I have no experience with this situation, but to be on the safe side I would do a 25% water change as soon as possible. Even if only letting the newly mixed water mix for only a couple of hours (typically fine in an emergency & how I do waterchanges normally) and start running carbon and a polyfilter too. Repeat the waterchange in a day or two and change out the media too. JMTC & GL!

thanks, I was pretty much freaking out, when I saw the purple coming out. ( I heard aoubt sea cucumbers poison). I bought the sea hare about 1 1/2 weeks ago, I know that when your hair algae is gone, they ususally die, so i was watching him, seeing if he would eat the dried seaweed I put in the tank,but he wasnt moving around like before, so I was going to monitor him in a dish, take him back to lfs.I dont know if I squeezed him too hard , he was mashed in between two rocks,he is hiding now. my fish seem fine, I do have a large dt tank, so there should be a lot of water for disbursement. i threw another carbon bag in my sump, I will do a water change

Back