End of cycle question

my 32 gallon tank has been cycling for 2 months, it is just finishing up the nitrite cycle, but the nitrite has been hanging at .25 ppm for the last 5 days, its driving me nuts. The ammonia spike ended suddenly the way its supposed to, but I dont know why the nitrite wont come down to zero. I'm really hoping to get some crabs in their soon but I'm getting impatient and starting to think something is wrong. My ammonia level is zero. Any idea's? Thanks

EDIT - i just checked the nitrate which is at 40ppm. Can i consider the tank cycled? Should I do a water change? Should I try adding a few crabs? Thank you.

Last edited:
I'd just take a deep breath and wait about a week or two more. The nitrite will come down.

Could do a little water change now if your nitrates are at 40but you shouldn't really have nitrite if your nitrates are that high

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand your impatience. Two months is a long wait. Do you have sand and rocks to provide surface area for nitrifying bacteria to colonize? If so, you should be fine. I'd still wait for Nitrite to go down to undetectable, and then a large water change to get those Nitrates down. Then 'crab it up' to your heart's content!

Back