Epoxy putty

Russell F

I used to get Aquamend at the HD but lately i havn't been able to find it. I did find a loc-tite under water product at lowes. Has anyone used the loc-tite product? Is it just as good?

Thanks

Hmm that is weird, my HD has always carried multiple boxes of the aquamend stuff. no experience with the loc tite product tho.

Mine used to carry it. I was in there a couple months ago and they had a different brand. I still have half a stick left, but it won't last long. I picked up a stick of the Loc-tite but i wanted to make sure it was safe before i used it.

I got a tube of JB water weld and a tube of PC marine. I found where these 2 have been used with good success. Thanks

never have any problem with JB Water Weld. I've been using this for the last 2-3 years. (at least 5-6 sticks a year)
They are much cheaper than the putty stuffs from the LFS. It comes in white only though

Have any of you ever found any putty that doesn't drive your skimmers bonkers? I've tried a few different times and both times takes about 4-5 days before my skimmer isn't overflowing...even if I just put in a quarter size piece.

Originally Posted by kylathwe
Have any of you ever found any putty that doesn't drive your skimmers bonkers?

I would like to know also.

Yes it filled my skimmer container within about 3 hours after application.

One thing to note is that if the water goes cloudy, it pretty much depletes the water of oxygen immediately, your stock will not like it/die, so make sure you have an air-stone or a venturi power-head ready to go, and turn it on full air mode. The first time i did this i nearly killed everything in my tank, cause it wasn't easy to find how to remedy on the instructions (in separate section).

i use DD aquaputty, i believe it is the same product as Milliput (not sure if available in the US), mix the coralline colour with the grey colour for best results.

Epoxy resin is employed to bind gutta percha in some root canal procedures. If we can use it in people then it tends to be inert. I just get any stick epoxy and use it. No problems. Yet.

They both sell "GE silicone 1" which is Totally reed safe. The key is not to have any mold inhibitors.

True, but the main thing about "1" is that it cures with acetic acid (vinegar), not ammonia like "2" does.

Totally different than putty, of course.

So I was wondering how hard is it to remove something that's been stuck to a rock with epoxy and glue? Do you just yank really hard and it will break off? I mean if a few months later I decide I want the coral in a different spot is it really hard to get it off.

Back