Equipment help

Davidb6

Getting back in and doing a lot or reading to evaluate equipment options and to bring myself up to date on newer techniques. I had a 65 SPS with no sump and tried to be as natural as possible; HOB fuge, lots of filter feeders (including clams) and a small HOB skimmer and things went pretty well.

After lots of reading I decided to go with something somewhat similar in concept - The_Natural_Mud-Filter_Method.

Problem, I do not have enough room under the display (Redsea 250 or Waterbox 100.3) for the recommended size mud chamber plus, I would prefer to have a filter sock and a skimmer (even if I remove them after the tank matures). One other option is to go custom "“ tank, stand and sump.

My preferred equipment setup "“ (wont' fit)
Sock, skimmer, large fuge/mud chamber (pods & algae), ATO, return

Options to make it all fit "“
Could use a HOB skimmer in the sump
Fuge to small - use Clearwater scrubber

Possible equipment setup "“
Sock, skimmer, small mud chamber with a scrubber above it, ATO, return

Any thoughts??

Trying to keep maintenance down, no SPS, will do softies and LPS

IMO for a no SPS tank just keep it simple and avoid all of that fuge/mud/ats stuff..
Its just not needed..
And now everything you want fits just fine ;)
Or just downsize as needed to fit all you want.. But all of that extra "stuff" requires maintenance and really isn't needed.. One can certainly have a successful non-sps tank without all of the fancy stuff..

I would certainly avoid a HOB skimmer though.. Silly to run a sump only to HOB a skimmer..

Thanks, sounds like you are suggesting more of a simple Berlin method?
Sock..skimmer...return

Yes..
But I personally say skip the sock and never run them myself.. The sock is catching/trapping beneficial detritus/particulate that is food for the corals and other animals and just allowing it to rot and go unconsumed/unused..

Thanks and I do agree with the sock and I could say the same for a skimmer in most cases (removes good and bad stuff)
My thinking of the skimmer and sock is to run them until there is enough coral to consume this food, otherwise it is waste just collecting.
Am I wrong in this logic?
Thanks

Thanks and I do agree with the sock and I could say the same for a skimmer in most cases (removes good and bad stuff)
My thinking of the skimmer and sock is to run them until there is enough coral to consume this food, otherwise it is waste just collecting.
Am I wrong in this logic?
Thanks

That logic is sound IMO..

Was looking at a 100.3 or RedSea 250 but neither has room for -sock, skimmer, fuge, return ATO type setup.

To do this setup (even if phased out over time) I think I would need a 36" sump.

Do you know of any existing sumps or custom builders I should consider? I may have to go with a custom tank/stand (44L x 20w) to fit the sump

Back