Eshopps frag rack - DANGER

That sucks, I had a frag rack (I sold because I have a bowfront) from eshopps and it did pretty well when I had it. I have their skimmer and its pretty darn good. I will stay away from their frag racks and just go eggcrate diy

Same happened to me and I pulled it. Mine was only 3 months old. The casing they use isn't fully sealed (No quality control I bet) water seeps in and viola'. If you already have them, put a bead of Weldon 16 around the base and you wont have any problems.

Their probe holder magnets have the same exact problem. A lite tap and the casing came right off on a new set this week on a new build. Disappointing to say the least. Eshopps suck.

So that's the Weldon 16 Acryllic Cement (and not the solvent cement), right?

Thanks.

Huh.... I have two of there racks and haven't had any problems with them, but after seeing this it's time to yank them.
Thanks for the heads up.

Their warranty and service is terrible. I bought one of their skimmers with a Sicce pump, and learned the hard way that their pump warranty is only 90 days. They don't even sell the replacement pump, not that I would give them any more money anyway.

Thanks for the heads up!! I was just about to place an order for both the corner and the straight one. I am not going to anymore.

Any recommendations for a better frag rack (clear acrylic w/ magnet)?

Thanks for the heads up!! I was just about to place an order for both the corner and the straight one. I am not going to anymore.

Any recommendations for a better frag rack (clear acrylic w/ magnet)?

I pulled my rack out of my tank the moment I read this thread! Since then I have put it back in because I recently did a ton of fragging. I have no issues with the magnets. You could however go to home depot and buy some 1/4" acrylic and use a 1/2 drill bit to make holes for the plugs. Cut one piece for the top part where your corals will sit and a smaller one to go against the glass and hold the rack up. Buy some acrylic weld from home depot and glue them together just like the shape of the eshoppes. From there you can simply buy a mag float and use it to hold the rack in place. Should cost more than $15 bucks to make!

I have several of these frag racks and they work perfectly and contain no magnets. They mount to either rimless or braced tanks. I was surprised how well they held. I have a lot of flow in my 120g SPS display and was worried they'd move around. Rock solid.

frag%20rack%20new_1.jpg

Rimless Mount
braceless_rack_website.jpg

Brace Mount
brace_mount_frag_rack.JPG

http://geosreef.com/index.php/products/frag-rack

Thanks for that tip hollback! :thumbsup: I've been wondering where to get those... nice. :)

No problem. The no magnet factor is key! I've also had some other version with the magnets that eventually swelled. It scares me to death as to what those could be leaching into my system.

I was just going to post about the Geo frag rack, but figured I'd do a quick check to see if there was already thread on it. What caught my eye in this thread, though, was the failure of the seal for the magnets on Eshopps racks - happened to all 4 of my Eshopps racks. The Geo rack I recently received with no magnets is great, not only because I don't have to worry about poorly sealed magnets leaching metals to the water, but because I can hang it from the eurobracing toward the back of the tank. It is still under the lights, but far enough toward the back that it is much less obtrusive visually. My daughter said it looks like a chandelier, the build quality is so nice. Definitely the frag rack to get, especially if aesthetics are at all a concern.

Last edited:
Back