Eshopps frag rack - DANGER

SeaIsle

Please all that have an eshopps frag rack stay diligent. My magnet apparently burst and my SPS didn't take kindly only I didn't think that my frag rack could be the cause. I was at a lose of ideas and healthy coral. I pulled my rack today to find this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 0
Please all that have an eshopps frag rack stay diligent. My magnet apparently burst and my SPS didn't take kindly only I didn't think that my frag rack could be the cause. I was at a lose of ideas and healthy coral. I pulled my rack today to find this.

The same exact thing happen to mine. I emailed them about it cause it was not that old and never got a reply. After that sort of service, No more Eshopps anything for me.

The rack is somewhere in the range of 18-24 months. I have emailed eshopps also and have yet to receive a response though it has only been 1 business day so I am still hipefull to get feedback. My concern is that this is seemingly a lack of quality. I understand the plastic case but why not dip the magnet in some flexible coating to ensure if water does find its way into the plastic this doesnt happen. This is just a really frustrating situation as I lost a few full colonies that I have had for years. Should this die off had been of my own accord then this would be easier to move on from. I just hope that this issue gets out there for the community to see and ensure more vigilance of the rack than I had.

Sorry to hear about your losses, but thank you for bringing this to light. I have the same frag rack and just pulled it out of the tank. So thank you!

Wow! That is terrible. Very sorry that happened. :(

But thank you for sharing. I've got an Eshoppes rack too. I think I'm going cover the magnet casings in a thick coating of silicone. Hopefully will do the trick.

Same happened to me and I pulled it. Mine was only 3 months old. The casing they use isn't fully sealed (No quality control I bet) water seeps in and viola'. If you already have them, put a bead of Weldon 16 around the base and you wont have any problems.

Their probe holder magnets have the same exact problem. A lite tap and the casing came right off on a new set this week on a new build. Disappointing to say the least. Eshopps suck.

...If you already have them, put a bead of Weldon 16 around the base and you wont have any problems.
That's clearly the best solution! :thumbsup: Please ignore my prior silicone suggestion (too bad I already did it).

If you don't have Weldon 16, Weldon 4 should also work if the if the gap is tiny or so small as to be invisible. Though a bead of 16 is the safest bet IMO.

Either way, with so many people having this problem, it sounds like anyone with one of these frag racks should apply that bead of Weldon, whether they see a gap or not.

I had the same issue with the two probe holders I had from Eshopps after only 6 months. Unfortunately they had poor customer service and made it really difficult to solve the issue and at some point they just ignored me; I was not able to get anywhere. I will not buy Eshopps again.

Holy crap guys. Im sorry for your losses man that sucks. I have an eshoppes frag rack in my tank holding 10 sps frags right now. I'll be back im going to yank it asap!!!

I just took mine out today. The magnets were starting to corrode. I would not even trust trying to glue it, complete junk.

A friend and I bought one at the same time. About four months ago. His was already rusted. He bought a clear rack and mine is a black frag rack. Mine hadn't done it yet.

What color has everyone's been that rusted? Is it just the clear, or do the black racks rust too?

I bought two of these a year ago. One of them rusted so I tossed it. The other had such weak holding power that I decided to make my own. I definitely wouldn't recommend that product.

Sucks, I just bought one. What a waste of money. I thought Eshopps was a good company. I guess I was wrong.

Thanks for letting us know brother.

Back