ever see blue pocillipora?

Yea it is, seems they do different things in different tanks under different conditions.

Beautiful coral tho, your doing something right.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9865375#post9865375 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Corn
NO that is baby blue pocillipora. it is the only one that i have ever seen also at night with all the lights off it is pink go fig.
here is my green Bnest
Picture056-1.jpg

I am selling frags to :D

i know a guy that has a pink one that is blue under actinics :)

I have a pink pocci, yes, under actinics, it's blue, and due to the blue spkie, there is a blue tint to the polyps.

Corn, yours is a stylo. Nice piece, I'm looking for a blue stylo...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9865179#post9865179 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Corn
Picture067-1.jpg

Matt, this coral is a Stylophora pistilata. The branches are too thick and the polyps are much smaller (not as feathered) than Pocillopora.

in general....

Stylophora branches average 10-20 mm (slightly less than 1 inch) or across
Pocillopora branches average 2-5 mm (less than 1/4 inch) across

Last edited:
Nice looking corals! I've got a large colony of that green birdnest too. I'll try to get a picture up of my blue pocillipora later today.

That is a nice piece Corn, really hard to tell if it is truly a pocci. Whatever it is it's a sweet find. I can't say that I have ever seen a blue pocci...which means nothing really as I certainly am not out at the wholesalers like some folks looking at tons and tons of corals.

I have a very definately blue stylophora, the Oceans Blue stylo. Here is a shot of it from a few months back, the polyps are blue and the body is pink underneath. But these polyps are so thick and blue that all you see is the blue.

Oceans_Blue_stylophora_1-4-07_sm_op_500x600.jpg

I also have a jade poyped pink stylo that is phenominal, it is like this iridescent jade/cotton candy look. I can't wait for it to grow more and heal from the acro that fell into it :(. I have not been able to capture a good shot of it that truly represents it's colors.

BTW, Be careful with those poccis, they will spawn and travel all over your tank when they are happy and growing...then they take over the tank and sprout up everywhere. I have a green with yellow body pocci that is so pretty in my tank, but I am contemplating moving out of my tank for this very reason. Well, honestly, I have already decided to sell it. I just have to get off my butt and get a good pic of it and post it :).

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9867809#post9867809 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 02REDZ28
Matt, this coral is a Stylophora pistilata. The branches are too thick and the polyps are much smaller (not as feathered) than Pocillopora.

in general....

Stylophora branches average 10-20 mm (slightly less than 1 inch) or across
Pocillopora branches average 2-5 mm (less than 1/4 inch) across

I was hinting ;) Nice stylo...

Back