Examples of Sump Plumbing

ddolinoy

Can anyone direct me to threads containing examples of how they connected the plumbing from the return pump in their sump to their tank?
Thanks.
Dave

What are you trying to do? What size tank/sump, is it drilled tank and what kind of overflow? What size pump

Thanks for the reply. I've already been through all the calculations with tank/sump size and water flow. I'm just curious to see the different ways to connect plumbing to the pump (Eheim 1260, internal to the sump), valves, tubes/pipes and how to introduce the water back into the tank (straight pipe, oscillating nossile, etc.). Some recommend pipe while others tubing. I'm building an overflow box (weir) and sump. I could put something together with plumbing from Home Depot, but would appreciate any tips. Thanks.
Dave

My strong suggestion for the best of everything would be:

Return Pump (Mouse pad under it)
Flex PVC (Reduce any vibrations possible)
Union -> Hard PVC all the way to the return back to the tank
Any tees you want to add for reactors, etc
Union
Gate Valve
Union
Return to the tank

As you know, unions provide a lot of help when it comes to disassembling and cleaning. But like above, I would go that way. Most of the time when pumps are "loud" it's due to vibrations that are transferred into the sump/stand cause it to seem like its amplified.

ek9vboi,
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a union?
Is that a general term for adapter?
Thanks for the warning about vibrations.
How do you support this plumbing?
I imagine the plumbing is a little heavy when filled with water.
Does it all just hang on the edge of the tank?
Does it end with two 90 degree PVC pipes pointing toward the bottom of the tank?
Thanks.
Dave

Back