Expert help please and experince

gnorts

My question is... Is it possible to do a aggressive reef tank if well fed and kept an eye on?

I don't care if snails and hermits will be picked off.

I just got great deal on a oceanic 90 gallon tank with stand and before setting it up trying to decide what I really want.

My current stock in 55 gallon:

bursa trigger
snowflake eel
immaculate puffer
emperor angel (juvenile)
rabbit fish
voliatan lion

My ideas for the 90 is this:

Tons of zoas/mushrooms
love to have mated pair of maroon clowns
Bubble tip anemone
snowflake eel
voliatan lion
emporer angel

Here my questions to be answer.

Could the trigger work in there?

Will Any of those fish destroy zoas/mushrooms/bta

Understand that picking on the coral and rock may happen if kept well fed will there be a problem?

Any Suggestions or pictures of people whos tanks are like this?

thanks for all help as I am newb i always prefer fish over the coral but I think that the coral adds a nice look to the tank that you just cant get in FOWLR

Anything is possible, I have noticed throughtout the years that fish are like dogs, They can't so much be judged on the breed, but the individual. Either way it is a gamble. I think corals would be fine, but I also hope you plan on a upgrade soon, as the Lion and Angel will get way to big for the 90.

Your tank plans are way too small for that stocklist. Your emperor will torch all your coral once he reaches 6-7".

agreed, you need a much bigger tank if you want to keep the volitan lion and emperor angel as adults.

there are some corals that could be okay, like mushrooms and leathers. I know from experience that even a small emperor with devour zoanthids

some comments on your list:

My current stock in 55 gallon:

bursa trigger - okay in 90
snowflake eel - okay in 90
immaculate puffer
emperor angel (juvenile) - will quickly outgrow 90
rabbit fish - possibly ok in 90 (what kind of rabbit?)
voliatan lion - will outgrow 90

My ideas for the 90 is this:

Tons of zoas/mushrooms - mushrooms fine, zoas will be eaten by angel
love to have mated pair of maroon clowns - okay in 90, but very territorial, can't have too many other fish
Bubble tip anemone - must keep good water, high light
snowflake eel - okay
voliatan lion - not long term
emporer angel - not long term

hey lisa thanks for the break down those are the answers i was looking for I don't mind trading in my fish if I have to just I get the tank monday And coming into this project I want to know where I stand and what I should do. Stilla toss up between Reef tank or FOWLR

if you think you want a reef, stock lightly. those gorgeous crazy tanks full of big fish and corals are few and far between, and the guys that maintain them are fanatics with lots of experience, deep pockets, and heavy duty equipment (COPPS!)

I would like to also point out, that ff the tank is four feet long, it is not the greatest for active fish.

I have two 90's and a 75 that I will sell for that reason.

IMO i agree on the tank size and the stocking suggestions .small tank for what you are gonna house .and soon to be big fish on your want list . i like that you are putting forthought into the stocking as many people dont and find out the hard way . good luck

Back