External Pump - Bulkhead on bottom of sump ok?

needyreefer

Hi all,

I have a pretty straightforward question and you would think I could figure this out on my own, but alas here I am. I'm in the process of setting up a 60g cube and the sump is in my basement. I'm using a 90 gallon tank that was previously drilled on the bottom (I removed the overflow) and I would like to use these holes to plumb in the line out to my external pump (1 will be emergency line should the other get clogged). My question is this: After I put in my baffles to create a return section, will I be ok to use the two holes on the bottom to feed my pump with just simply having strainers on the bulkheads? Or do I need to put in small durso standpipes to control the water level? I've looked everywhere to find a picture of this but everybody seems to have drilled a hole in the side of the tank. For whatever reason, I cannot picture how the water level in the return section will be if I just use the bulkhead w/ strained option.

Thanks for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My sump is an old reef ready tank as well. Removed the weirs, installed my baffles, and screwed strainers into the bottom mounted bulkheads. Works fine. You have to raise the tank off the floor of course, but that's pretty simple as well. Where the bulkhead is in the return section has no bearing on water levels, etc.

If you look at my CT265 build thread in the large tank forum here on RC, there are pictures.

My sump is an old reef ready tank as well. Removed the weirs, installed my baffles, and screwed strainers into the bottom mounted bulkheads. Works fine. You have to raise the tank off the floor of course, but that's pretty simple as well. Where the bulkhead is in the return section has no bearing on water levels, etc.

If you look at my CT265 build thread in the large tank forum here on RC, there are pictures.

Thank you very much! Beautiful tank by the way. . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back