Fallow Period Plan

Trueblueg8tor

Looking for solution oriented feedback regarding my situation. I have a 33 gallon tank which is 20 weeks old. I lost all of my fish after a cold snap despite having a heater (installed a bigger one and did a water change but to no avail 🙁) … My assumption is that velvet struck based on white spots I saw peppered on my coral beauty.

My plan now is to take this opportunity (6 weeks without fish) to replace crushed coral with Caribsea Special grade sand as well as introduce a copepods along with a copepod hotel.

My questions are: is 4 jars of Galaxy Pods too much for a 33 gallon tank? Is there anything else I should be considering?

Galaxy Pods' provider does not list the number of total pods in the bottle. I hope you know this about the pods:
1. They feed on detritus; and
2. They feed on micro algae

If you plan to replace the crushed coral you will be removing much of the detritus. I'd recommend also securing/using some micro algae.

So, considering your plan and aquarium size, I'd just buy one bottle AND be sure to have some micro algae ready to feed. If conditions are good and they are well fed, they will multiply. The 'copepod hotel' was mostly intended for a sump. Do you have a sump? It can be inside the aquarium too. Have you considered other sources of pods. I like to know how many I'm getting, like from Reef Nutrition. Next is the matter of leaving your aquarium 'fallow.'

The problem is that we really don't know just what the white spots were. You have other things to consider, too. I won't repeat it all here. Please read my recent post: Post #4

You didn't mention the kind of filtration you have, nor the kind and quantity of rock or ornaments you might have.

Your aquarium is small, but if you really want to keep disease out of your display tank (DT) then you'll need to set up another aquarium to quarantine all marine life (e.g., fish, snails, crabs, shrimp, other inverts) before putting them into your DT.

Good luck! If you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited:
Looking for solution oriented feedback regarding my situation. I have a 33 gallon tank which is 20 weeks old. I lost all of my fish after a cold snap despite having a heater (installed a bigger one and did a water change but to no avail 🙁) … My assumption is that velvet struck based on white spots I saw peppered on my coral beauty.

My plan now is to take this opportunity (6 weeks without fish) to replace crushed coral with Caribsea Special grade sand as well as introduce a copepods along with a copepod hotel.

My questions are: is 4 jars of Galaxy Pods too much for a 33 gallon tank? Is there anything else I should be considering?
You can NEVER have too many copepods, you could add 10 gallons if you really were inclined to do so. :)

Back