Fans that t7rn on and off per water temp. how ?

candymancan

So im pretty handy.. work on cars hsve a classic can weld and do some electrical work.. but ive never wired fans for temperature control before. I have two 140mm computer fans wired up to a little 5v power bar and they work fine but its just a on 24.7 thing unless i flip tge switch.. What would i need as far as wiring up some kind of thermal cut off and on ?

This acrylic 60g hex holds too much heat and with my 36w sterilizer its bringing my tank temps to 84f today ( room is warm too alot of the times but still. With the fan running. the tank dropped to 78.5f.. But i dont want it to get much colder then 76.. And i remember when using these fans on my 27g hex it would drop too cold and i dont want my tank heater and fan to fight eachother.. So what do you guys think ?

Get yourself an inkbird controller. They are cheap and can control both a heat and chiller. Or, if you want a quality controller, get a single stage Ranco or a dual stage ranco if you want heater control too. Either can turn a fan on or off based on the tank temp that you set it for. Personally, I'd spend the extra money on the Ranco as I wouldn't trust my live stock to the Inkbird and the Ranco's are about the best stand alone temp controller you can get but they aren't all that cheap.

Single stage runs about $50 and the Dual stage for about $90 but you have to wire them so it'll cost you an additional $ for buying heavy gauge extension cord with leads.
They do sell wired ones on amazon but they charge a premium for it.

I would say a reefkeeper light, about 100$ new... you can then keep your heater working with a safe guard, and also control the fans too...

Doubt you will find a "new" Reef Keeper Lite anymore since the device is no longer supported or produced.
Used is not hard to find but the one major problem will be replacing the temperature probe when you need to, they are no where to be had and is the heartbeat of the controller if you are using it to control heaters and fans/chiller.

Doubt you will find a "new" Reef Keeper Lite anymore since the device is no longer supported or produced.
Used is not hard to find but the one major problem will be replacing the temperature probe when you need to, they are no where to be had and is the heartbeat of the controller if you are using it to control heaters and fans/chiller.

Yup my bad there... discontinued.

You can get a temp sensor that will work with a RKL or RKE. I have been testing one on my SLX module. It is controlling a heater. You would have to add the correct connector to the sensor to use it with the RKE or RKL. These are the ones I am testing https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0185P4MVO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

Is that all they were using? Good to know. I guess it makes sense, NTC 10k probes are cheap and easy to interface with.

For anyone needing connectors, it's a Molex part - 43645-0200 for the connector and 43030-0007 for the female pins. Both are available on ebay.

Back