Faulty Kent Phos Reactor - Anyone had success with these?

tonyespinoza

Premium Member
Just tried a Kent Phos Reactor... It leaked during my test so I tried silicone grease on the o-ring -- no dice. Upon closer inspection it's clearly leaking from within the unit, not the o-ring.

(all this talk of o-rings makes me think of the space shuttle. grim.)

Anyone using this model of reactor successfully? Anyone else had a failure? Trying to decide whether to try another brand or give them another shot. I like the unit in general....

Thanks for any insight.

-tE

I have one of these, and mine works well. Mine came without the large o-ring used to seal the top. It was hard to get a hold of the company, but once I got through, an o-ring was quickly shipped to me. Since you say it's not leaking from the o-ring, you've gotta figure out exactly where the leak is and then figure out how to stop it. If the leak isn't caused by the o-ring, then you must have damage somewhere on the reactor that's letting water escape. Figure out where, exactly, the leak is coming from. Then, figure out if you can easily repair/glue the area, or if you need to contact Kent to get a new unit shipped to you.

-Joe

Interesting that yours was missing the o-ring.

Did you end up needing to grease it?

It's leaking from the upper edge where the clear acrylic meets the black plastic top. It looks like the silicone work there is pretty sloppy.

Anyway, these aren't good signs for this product. Perhaps the PhosBan or AquaC versions are better made.

I think I'll return this one to the LFS I got it from rather than spend time repairing it.

-tE

I dampened my o-ring in regular water, and never had problems with it. I'll agree that the quality isn't as high as it seems to be on other brands. The AquaC phosphate reactor is larger, so it can hold more media, if that's important to you. If you don't want to go throught the hassle of fixing the leak, then I'm in agreement that you should return it and try a different brand.

-Joe

Is vasoline reef safe?
Slightly off topic...
I have a PBR for some time and for some reason I can no longer screw the lit on the unit (even after I replace the O Ring)

Back