Favorite Reef Fish

shaannondavis21

Piggy backing off of my lionfish question and wanting unique entertaining fish for myself and kids to enjoy while starting to grow coral I ask you all this; what are your favorite reef safe fish and why? Thanks and looking forward to hearing different opinions

I really liked my school of chromis. I was having good luck with three that were all what I would consider to be larger. I lost two in the great crash of 2012 and dont dare add another with the one I have. They are an awesome blue/green color and add tonss of movement. I will add that despite them being listed as "easy" if you try to keep schools they tend to pick each other off until there is only one. I think I may have been lucky to keep the three I had for so long. It was going on three years when my tank crashed.
Kole yellow tangs are also good fish that swim a lot and are of the easier tangs to keep.

Hard question because of what I can assume your experience level is; sorry if I missed it. I think dottybacks, clowns, talbot damsels... are great fish to cut your teeth on.

My favorite reef safe fish is my long nosed hawkfish. He has a great personality and follows me around the tank. He is very social.

If I had to pick 1 fish, it would be the Desjardini Sailfin Tang in an appropriate tank (and a variety of other tangs!), followed by Jawfish, and any variety of clownfish. All of them are really interesting and have tons of personality. But to a beginner I would recommend them in the order of Clownfish, Jawfish, and Tangs.

I have a 120 and a 92. I have a flame hawk fish. Love him. We have a starry blenny and a bicolor blenny in 120 and they get along great. And they arefun to watch. Also have a pair if diamond gobies who had already paired up at arc so I bought them together. Was thinking about getting the long nose hawk at arc also and went to buy the jawfish but it had sold. So you guys are doing great with your suggestions. Lol. Keep them coming

I love the lubbock's fairy wrasse I got one recently and it has sweet colors and a great personality lubbocks[1].jpg

lhscouchmonster, I have had my flame hawk for a year and he is very peaceful doesn't bother any inverts at all. He usually hangs out on my birdsnet or on a powerhead, he is always moving around. Hope this helps

Back