February 2017 Reefer of the Month (ROTM)---tkeracer619

Nanook

Ancient Eskimo Legend
Staff member
RC Mod
Wow, what an honor to be selected as Reefer of the Month for the second time! I'd just like to say thank you to the Reef Central community and it's sponsors, it's a great asset for those in the marine aquarium hobby. It takes a lot of people to make this community what it is, so thank you all for this opportunity!

For those who don't know me my name is Mark. I have been keeping reef tanks since 2006, worked professionally at Aquatic Art Inc for several years, and for the last 6 years progressed my career as a Manufacturing Engineer. Like many of us, I started learning about reef tanks here on Reef Central. I had kept a few freshwater tanks here and there but ultimately took the saltwater plunge after finding RC. After the heartbreaking complete loss of my 360gal
during a move I certainly wouldn't have stuck with it if it were not for this community. Rebuilding has been slow but my next system that is in the works is taking shape and i'm pulling everything I have learned into making it something else!

Just the other day I was browsing through my first posts, some of them are a bit embarrassing, some of them are a bit silly, but most of them show the struggles that many reefers go through when getting started in this hobby. It made me think about what it takes to grow as a marine aquarium hobbyist and how each of us progress along different paths based on the information we have available. After Nanook told me about being selected as the Feb '17 ROTM I thought about the events that took place in my life since becoming the Nov '12 ROTM
. I looked at my first Build Thread for my 360gal and then looked at my current Build Thread for my 600gal my 600gal . I looked at the threads I created between the start dates of those two build threads. So much has happened in my life and a lot of it is reflected in posts stored here on RC. It's not something we think about day to day but being involved in a community like this is special. We have something that most do not. We have time stamped events good and bad to look back on, reflect on, and learn from. RC is a great resource because of everyone who contributes. I cannot wait to see what the future brings to the hobby and the community.

Thank you again for selecting me as the February 2017 Reefer of the Month!!!

My lady and I

32568124791_418e0e1567_b.jpg

My 360 before the loss

1112rotmpic.jpg

Slowly rebuilding my livestock after the crash

15522347976_615b709bbf_c.jpg

As of last night filling the 600 gallon!

32538077872_d864b9ed1d_c.jpg

The dedicated filtration/propagation room as of last week! It will contain seven dedicated BTA propagation tanks, two 55gal fish QT tanks, a 100gal 4'x4' coral growout flat, two 200gal water vats, and a sump for the 600gal tank with all the hardware to run it.

32321620562_c2184c53d2_c.jpg

If you are interested in more of my story take a look at the threads embedded into this post and take a look at some of the threads I started.

Last edited:
Thanks for all you have contributed to making Reef Central what it is.

Description of RC ROTM:

In appreciation and honor of the members that regularly contribute to our discussion forums, we would like to acknowledge a Reefer each month that stands out as exceptional for their outstanding service to others. This person will be selected by the Reef Central Staff, based on their willingness to help others in response to questions, giving advice, and overall disposition. The honoree will be given the Reef Central ROTM tag, that will appear above their avatar and will follow them for one year after being awarded. This will not only demonstrate to others that you have been chosen as a trustworthy source of information, but also as a positive role model for others to emulate. Additionally, we are pleased to upgrade your membership to "premium" for one year.

We look forward to honoring one person, each month, by highlighting them in the Reef Discussion and New to the Hobby Forums. This will include a recent photograph of yourself, or your avatar if you prefer not to show your actual face, along with what you love about the hobby of reef keeping and why you have chosen Reef Central to be your home. Each month the face and paragraph of the ROTM will change, but you can forever hold the honor of knowing that you were one of the chosen few to have earned this title and our respect as a member in great standing.

Best Regards,

The RC Staff

That 600 gallon tank is just sick! Love the dedicated fish room with all the goodies too:)

That 600 gallon tank is just sick! Love the dedicated fish room with all the goodies too:)

Thanks! It's taking forever but in the end it's going to be my safe place :D

Congrats Mark! I'll have to come check out the 600 once shes going

You're welcome any time!

Congrats, Mark!

Thanks!

Congrats and good luck with the 600! Love the fish room

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Thanks!

600, zoinks. Welcome to the two-timing club.

Thanks bud!

Last edited:
Wow! ROTM! Look at you go!
Gotta say, I probably wouldn't have fish in my tank if it weren't for you and aside from chasing me with that crab :lol: you have been an awesome mentor along the way! Cannot wait to help you get the 600 up and running :)
Congratulations Mark!

Dip dip double dip, two time winner Congrats I guess your last thread on removing phosphate and curing rock really but you over the top. Congrats

Congrats! Love watching the 600 come to life

Thanks! I'm having fun setting this beast up :)

Wow! ROTM! Look at you go!
Gotta say, I probably wouldn't have fish in my tank if it weren't for you and aside from chasing me with that crab :lol: you have been an awesome mentor along the way! Cannot wait to help you get the 600 up and running :)
Congratulations Mark!

Thanks bud! I always appreciate the time you've put in and glad to help you get started. This hobby is rough on newbies!

Congrats! Way to rebuild bigger and better!

Thanks! All or nothing right?!

Congrats well deserved.

Thank you! I really appreciate it!

Meant to type 'two-time' club, lest there be any misinterpretation :lol:

:D :lol:

Dip dip double dip, two time winner Congrats I guess your last thread on removing phosphate and curing rock really but you over the top. Congrats

Thanks you! Best to get a grip on those phosphates before throwing a high powered moonbeam over a fish bowl! :)

Last edited:
Congrats Mark!! This is very very well deserved! You're always here helping others and your contributions to this forum are a huge asset to the community. I'm glad to see you honored in such a way! Thanks for all you do here in helping others! :beer:

Back