February General Meeting

Brian Prestwood

Premium Member
Hello everyone,

I would like to announce that Jonathan Mee, owner of Fish Planet will be our guest speaker at our February meeting. Ever wondered what it takes to open a fish store? Well, you are about to find out.

Hope you all can make it on Friday, February 16th. The meeting will start at 7:00 PM and Jonathan will start around 7:45 PM.

Thanks,

Bruce

ps Posted by Brian for Bruce

Did You Get the E-Mail Notification?

Did You Get the E-Mail Notification?

I sent out an e-mail notification to all the registered users on the website. Did everyone get it?

Cool Brian! Mandy and I went over there Sunday and it really is looking nice.
No e-mail here.

OK MARS members, how do you like the format of our meetings. I am open to any suggestion to make it better for you.

Let me know what you like or don't like.

I thought it was a great meeting but would be nice to have some external speakers so those in the back can hear the A/V stuff.

Visited Fish Planet today , man what a awesome store , though I wish they wear geared a little less fresh and a bit more salt.

Also visited the coral reef shop which had some great stuff. Both stores I have not visited before but I did because of hearing the officers talk about them during the discussion portion of the meeting. Both also had a kids area which is great for those parents that want to really check stuff out but dont want the kids running/breaking things. A REAL PLUS FOR ME !!

Would be nice if every month the club was able to orginize a speical deal or store spotlight with differant stores. I went into yourreef on sat but I was told there was only the normal 10% discount that day which I was bumbed since I had waited off on getting some stuff I really needed and would have done it before if I knew is was going to be a normal discount and although it might sound like I am complaining I am stiff really happy I was afforded the 10% off still. John was not there that day so might have just been because of that.

Something else would be a alternating meeting location. Teh current is pretty far out from Sac and with an alternating meeting location could pull in more members to the meetings from davis and other areas and get more particapation. I live only 10 mins from the current but wouldnt mind driving further to allow other member to attend easier as well.

Good suggestions.
About the meeting location, I am up for any ideas. I have been on the lookout, but have not found a better location that offers good food and a large enough meeting space for up to 100 people. If you know a place, please let me know so I can check it out.

Bruce,

To be honest - I was expecting a boring meeting, but was pleasantly surprised that the meeting was great. I loved the questions and answer time at the beginning of the meeting. Even for some of the long time members, we were able to learn something new. I suggest that we have name badges (like those "Hello my name is"). I am glad to see that the club is investing into some club "equipment." I would like to see the club stock and sell common reef supplies (glue, epoxy, carbon, etc) at the meeting.

I would like to see the club organize a LFS tour one of these days. Maybe a bunch of us can coordinate with the LFS and hit a bunch of LFS on Saturday. I know that when NVR did that - the members were able to get a substantial discount off of corals. Also - it would be good for members to get to know each others and the different LFS. We could do it like 3 times a year (any more, and I think it loses its novelty).

BTW - Johnathan Mee - Great job! I really enjoyed your talk. Speak of which - a friend told me that Fish Planet has Helfrichi firefish for $99 (normally $200+).

Minh

Little by little I will work on acquiring club equipment. There is just the issue of tracking it when someone wants to use it.

I think the idea of LFS tours is a good one. I will look into that. I was also thinking of a tour of the new Steinhart Aquarium. Anyone out there have a contact?

Steinhart Aquarium - you might want to check with our banned colleague - Matt (Wombat2). He frequents Reefs.org . If you want to do a tour of Monterey Bay Aquarium - I would be up to that also (and maybe some diving afterward). :D

I forgot to mention - Great job new BOD!

How about this Round Table?

SACRAMENTO/HOWE AVENUE
1566 Howe Avenue
Sacramento, CA 95825
(916) 924-3731
Carry Out, Dine In, Delivery, Banquet Facilities

its small, I use to work at that one. They do not have a separate area.

The area they do have 50 people max.

Back