Feeding my Gig

Babayaga718

Hello all. I’m new to RC but not to reef keeping. I’ve been in the hobby on and off for about 20yrs. I set up my newest tank about a year ago with plans on adding a gig, I’ve been on the hunt for a while and finally found an established gig from a fellow reefer. I added the nem to my system about 2 weeks ago and so far no signs of it needing treatment, also my clownfish (true percula) jumped in the nem in a matter of minutes. I’d like to start feeding it but I’m not sure how long I should wait to do so. I plan on feeding it raw shrimp about the size of a pencil eraser. I remember reading that you shouldn’t feed new gigs right away but now after 2 weeks in my tank is it safe to do so? Thanks in advance
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Hi there, and welcome! Also, congrats on your new carpet!

If the anemone has been healthy for the whole two weeks, it should be fine to start feeding it but FYI they also can do just fine getting food when you feed your fish. Feeding anemones is usually a preference and not a requirement in a healthy reef tank.

If you decide to feed it shrimp, be sure to to always skip a day. Feeding two days in a row can cause the anemone to hold onto undigested food, which can lead to an infection.

Hi there, and welcome! Also, congrats on your new carpet!

If the anemone has been healthy for the whole two weeks, it should be fine to start feeding it but FYI they also can do just fine getting food when you feed your fish. Feeding anemones is usually a preference and not a requirement in a healthy reef tank.

If you decide to feed it shrimp, be sure to to always skip a day. Feeding two days in a row can cause the anemone to hold onto undigested food, which can lead to an infection.
Thank you. I was actually only going to feed the nem like once a week and only because my clownfish are living in it but they don’t bring any food to it when I feed them. They also became highly aggressive since I added the gig and attack my hand anytime it’s in the tank lol .

Thank you. I was actually only going to feed the nem like once a week and only because my clownfish are living in it but they don’t bring any food to it when I feed them. They also became highly aggressive since I added the gig and attack my hand anytime it’s in the tank lol .
Once a week should be plenty, as they are photosynthetic and can even grow from the nutrients in the water like a coral. Good luck with the clowns btw, sometimes they'll even 'clean' the food out of the anemone for you, lol

You should be able to feed it.
Honestly I feel it is beneficial to feed all anemones.
They have a mouth to feed. Living off Zooxanthellae is basically sugars.
I believe this makes them more healthy and better at fighting off disease especially in Giganteas and Magnificas.
You do not need to feed allot but is is good to occasionally feed them. I see the difference in my H. magnifica especially.

Back