Feeding Schedule

wet thumb

I posted this on my local reef form and the other member that replied said that he feeds every day. I know he takes good care of his fish but just looking for other opinions. Do most feed aggressives daily?

I have a 300gal FOWLR, I have a pair of crosshatch triggers, mineatus grouper, lion fish and a golden puffer. Everyone getting along well. Feeding mostly krill. Sometimes shrimp or mysis for the triggers. They would eat every day but I feed every other day. How often should I feed?

If everyone is getting a fair share, then every two days is fine, IMO. Many predatory fish don't eat regularly. I feed my lions every two days. I would really avoid feeding too much krill. Mix it up to include table shrimp, small chunks of scallop, whitefish, squid, clam, etc...

With a pricey fish like a crosshatch trigger, I'd feed atleast once a day. I feed my fish (reef and FO) atleast once a day, usually twice, sometimes 3 or more depending on how busy I am. I defintely agree with varying the diet. I also add garlic and vitamins.

I dont really understand the people who say that most predatory fish only eat every 2 or 3 days.

I guess it depends on the fish. I've never actually observed lionfish in the wild, but I have seen triggers and puffers. They are ALWAYS picking around, looking for food and digging in the sand or what not. Sure, they arent always eating because there isnt always food there, but I can guarantee that they are finding food more than every 2 days. Maybe they only get a BIG meal once every couple days, but they are scrounging up little stuff nonstop.

I feed my fish twice a day during the work day and 3 times a day on the weekends. Every once in a while, almost once a week now, I go out of town to my brother's and they dont eat for a day. They dont seem any worse for it, but they are starving and I see a lot more aggression during the hunger period while they are waiting for food.

Anyway, it's just my thoughts on it, I like to keep the fish well fed. They were getting fat and I cut back on the amount I feed, but not the amount of times I feed. They have slimmed down and look great.

everyone is fat and happy, I do add some scallops or regular shrimp once and awhile. I will try the once daily feeding and see if anyone is getting fat. The puffer gets pretty fat when fed daily but I haven't done that long term. What kind of vitamins do you add to the food?

Just like with humans, I think it's best to feed several times a day, but in smaller amounts. Don't dump a whole bunch of food in every other day. Break it up into 1-3 times daily. I add boyds vitachem or selcon to my food.

I feed mine 4X per day - frozen in the morning and evening, and mid-morning and mid-afternoon automatic feeder (flake).

I have a mix of moderate to very aggressive feeders, and overfeed some to be sure all get enough. I also find that frequent small feedings tend to minimize aggressive interactions.

OK I am now a daily feeder. Fed some silversides last night. Just have to get the right amount so that the less aggressive fish get enough and the more aggressive don't get too much.

I feed once a day and rotate what food I'm feeding daily (frozen (includes cubes, silversides, shrimp, squid, etc at different times), flake, veggie)

I feed mine forzen foods in the morning and evening, then they get algae/nori on clips twice a day. So that's 4 meals for the whole tank. Even though the puffer, trigger and wrasses don't really eat the algae, so for them it's 2 meals a day. The puffer is kinda slow so he gets fed some chunky foods at night when all the other fish are asleep. But I hand feed so there is nothing wasted.

Back