Fertilize replanted Mangroves in a refugium?

crvz

Team RC
TLDR; is there a good way to fertilize replanted mangroves in a refugium?

-----------

This is a bit of a cross post with one in the plants forum, but I am hoping to get more exposure. I have these mangroves that I've been growing in a refugium for about 5 years. They looked like this in the 20 gallon tank I had about 4 weeks ago.

49710035103_5ed9b478e4_b.jpg

I was really happy with them, so I think.. "hey, bigger tank! Maybe make some better room for tridacna clams!" I build a new tank, make the swap, but therein lies the drama. I scooped each tree out with a huge shovel's worth of sand to try to minimize disturbing the roots. But in the process, I find more than 1 eunicid worm. Bad news.

49660176117_188385a6e9_b.jpg

Since this was new intel, and I didn't know what I had found at the time, I didn't change my plan and replanted the trees. When I'm done, they look like this in the new tank.

49663123646_1001406cf4_b.jpg

Over the next few days, I research the worms, recognize them for some pretty nasty pests (reports of 8 foot long specimens are legendary in the hobby), and decided to scope out the tank for any more. I put a red light over night and slap the nest cam to scope the sand bed. within 1 night, I find this 20" long worm, and other areas that imply he's not alone.

49710561911_237df7a7ee_z.jpg

So, for reasons, I decide to remove the sand beds entirely, sift through them, and mechanically remove all the terror worms. It was messy, and I found a total (between the first discovery and the sifting) of at least 4 worms, but since they split in pieces nicely it could have been more.

49710589396_be2cffa3f7_b.jpg

49710912432_ddf7db8922_b.jpg

Now to the point. The trees were pretty well disturbed, and I've had problems in the past moving smaller mangroves, which is why I'd hope to avoid this. Now about a week later, the trees are starting to wilt. I have trimmed them in hopes of limiting some of the demand that the root have, but the sand bed has been pretty well scrubbed and I fear there's not near enough nutrients available for the size of the trees. Any recommendations on fertilizing or mangrove care at this point? Or recommendations on finding good resources on what's next? They are also excreting what I assume to be sap (white stuff).

49710884587_594126d9a3_b.jpg

49710562166_5c40061a1a_b.jpg

49710884537_693b810d24_b.jpg

Thanks for reading! I'd love any expert thoughts.

Some companies used to sell "mud" to put in fuges. I haven't seen it in quite a few years. I don't know if I'd add anything else. Maybe some sand from a LSB or an old set-up. They need some nutrients but nothing too drastic. I don't know if you spray your leaves but that used to be recommended in the past. Just use RO/DI water. I wouldn't take them out though. Even if the leaves fall off, it may come back. You can cut a branch to see if the plant is still alive.

Not sure what's in the system now, but if you have corals do NOT add fertilizer. Nitrates/nitrites good for plants, but bad for everything else. If you have fish in with the trees, they'll add their own fertilizer if you feed them regularly ;)

Back