Filter Floss- 100% Polyester, Flame Retardent. SAFE ?

I have a bunch of this type floss from my wife's craft days and reads, 100% polyester and flame retardant.

Is it safe to use or does it have embedded chemicals to be flame retardent,
and also, does it maybe have phosphate ?

No , No , No,,,if its says flame retardant anywhere then it is no good,,that applies for open/close cell foam too...Do not use it...Only if it says "NO fire or flame retardant" on label then your good to go but if it is not made by an aquarium product manufacturer,,your still gambling..

No , No , No,,,if its says ......"flame retardant" anywhere then it is ...no good.

Do not use it...Only if it says "NO fire or.... "flame retardant" on label then your ,....good to go,... but if it is not made by an aquarium product manufacturer,,your still gambling..

Which way do you mean it's ok ?

Mine says,....."Flame Retardant".

On the rare occasions that I need filter floss, I have been using pillow stuffing from wallyworld for well over 20 years without issue.

Which way do you mean it's ok ?

Mine says,....."Flame Retardant".

He's saying you want stuff that has no chemicals in it. If it says flame retardant, then it likely has some kind of chemical in it to keep it from catching fire which is a no no for the tank. You want stuff that is non flame retardant and 100% hypoallergenic which means there are no perfumes, mold inhibitors or anything else in it.

-Charlie

one way to find out,,you win some and loose some,,,but I would unfortunately pucker up and buy the overpriced aquarium labeled stuff...been there done that with open/closed cell foam in my freshwater days..youll never know for sure of the aftermarket floss..with or without the flame retardant labeling

Back