Filter-less 37g Cube Build

gkb

I will start this thread by saying:

WHAT I AM ABOUT TO DO SHOULD PROBABLY NOT BE ATTEMPTED BY ANYONE WHO IS JUST TAKING ON THE RESPONSIBILITY OF CARING FOR MARINE LIFE. (I probably shouldn’t be doing it, either.)

I am a believer in maintaining pristine water conditions for the inhabitants of my reefs. I do feed the fishes daily (I don’t want my best friends to have to go to bed hungry. Except the dwarf lionfish named Sarafina. She eats only every couple of days.). However, I typically under-stock, use skimmers rated at twice a system’s volume, make use of sumps and refugia, filter socks, chemical media, etcetera, etcetera. I do not intentionally feed any of the corals anything. Most importantly (I believe), I do lots of water changes (usually amounting to 25% per week or more). Despite the daily feedings, I guess you could say I try to keep the tanks as “sterile-as-possible.” The results are good, and are very apparent.

Perhaps it is my obsession with my tanks' cleanliness that leads to where I am now. I am going to try something different. I am hereby defying the phrase, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

As the title of this thread suggests, I have decided to run a filter-less tank. By that, I mean no skimmer, no sump, no refugium, no canister or HOB filter, no chemical filtration, not even a sponge on the Maxi-jet. Aside from filtration by the inhabitants of the tank themselves, the only “filtration” here will be manual removal of “yucky stuff” via Python or ½” tubing and very frequent water changes.

QUALIFICATION: IF ANYTHING BEGINS TO GO HORRIBLY WRONG, I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO ABANDON THIS RIDICULOUS IDEA AND ADD FILTRATION, MOVE CRITTERS TO A SAFER PLACE, ETCETERA.

I have also decided to keep equipment to a bare minimum (I have enough expensive toys on my primary tank.). The equipment I will use is the following:

-1 37 gallon box nearly full of saltwater ($25 for the glass, $13 for the salt).
-1 Bag of sand ($17).
-1 Stand ($15).
-1 Maristar 1x250 HQI (Blue Wave) w/ 2 Blue Plus t5’s ($150).
-1 Maxi-jet 1200 (donated).
-1 Heater (donated).
-1 Wal-Mart power strip ($3).

-----

Equipment that will be used, but is shared with my primary 125g mixed reef and my frag tank:

-1 “Sears-special” RO filter.
-1 2 liter pitcher.
-1 Coffee cup.
-1 Hydrometer (reliably inaccurate, reads 1.027 when water is at 1.025).
-1 30 gallon trash can.
-1 Python.
-1 5ft piece of 1/2” tubing.
-1 Empty salt bucket.
-1 Plastic cup.
-1 Measuring spoon.
-2 Syringes.
-1 Pair of scissors.
-1 Long-handled scrub brush and/or Mag-Float.
-1 Bottle brush.
-2 All-purpose test kits.
-1 Small heater (for make-up water).
-1 Small pum (for make-up water).
-40 Drops of chlorine remover for initial setup.

-----

Equipment that will be used, but is stolen:

-Lots, and lots, and lots of my wife’s towels.

-----

The inhabitants of the tank will be limited. Sorry, no fish allowed (this tank is too small to put a fish in, anyways). I plan to house, most importantly, fauna/microfauna and some algae. If that goes well, I will add a peppermint shrimp, maybe two (I can’t have one in my primary tank due to the dwarf lion.). Subsequently, I will add a particular variety of star polyps (They look good under bluer lighting, but not so much under my current Iwasaki 175w 15k's.). A variety of mushrooms will soon follow. Then, I will add a colt and a leather (I have two different colts (one of which should be moved), and this particular leather looks great under bluer lighting, but not so much under the Iwasakis.). Next I will add the majority of my acan collection (trust me, it is modest). Finally, I will attempt a red montipora, a porites, and a blue/purple acropora from my 125g (yes, with only the Maxi-jet for circulation and no supplemental filtration). There will be only one member of the clean-up crew aside from the peppermint shrimp…ME.

Pics will follow, as soon as I can figure out how to upload them. I think I have to connect the camera to the computer first, but I am not sure (I am kidding.). However, I can assure you that this thread will absolutely NOT contain any world-class photography (unless, of course, someone besides me posts it).

Forgive me. I have skipped the process of photographing each piece of equipment as it arrived, the filling of the tank, etcetera. Trust me, there was nothing exciting about it. I just went and bought it, brought it home, and filled it with water. Done deal. I promise, I will make everyone suffer through all that hooplah in 2 years (COUNT 'EM!!!) when I build my dream tank (an 11ft. tank built specifically for a naso (lipstick, not blonde...my dream fish)). I just have to find a place to live that is not a second-floor apartment. I also need to acquire a bucket, or two, of salt.

My initial thoughts:
1) I got a VERY good deal on the setup (Admittedly, the light was costly, and will kill the electricity bill. However, my wife wanted the tank in the living room. So, I don't think my spare Iwasaki in an old coffee can was going to go over very well. Thus, the pretty light fixture had to be purchased. Damn it.).
2) This is scary.
3) The Phoenix 14k is too blue for my taste (I prefer the Iwasaki 175w 15k).
4) This is scary.
5) This is too much light for my purposes. Perhaps I will 1) not run the t5’s and/or, 2) leave the very old MH bulb in, 3) find a new MH bulb (whiter) with relatively low PAR, or 4) gut the fixture and put in a 70w or 175w).
6) This is scary.
7) I don’t like or trust heaters. (Via carefully designed/balanced setups and diligent monitoring, I have not used them or chillers for years.)
8) This is scary.
9) Maxi-jet suction cups are still horrible. I see a cheap Koralia in my future.
10) This is scary.
11) I am old, I smoke too much, and I'm out-of-shape. I should not be moving heavy Oceanic fish tanks around.
12) This is scary.

I do hope you enjoy the thread. More importantly, I hope the critters will like their new home.

Okay. Flame away. I am open to criticism, suggestion, hatred, and/or legal recourse. I might even answer a question or two, if you happen to have any. If your question is, “Are you insane?” The answer is yes.

If anyone knows where I can get any good algae, please let me know (I care for tangs, and have no experience with acquiring desirable algae). I am certainly willing to pay for it, as well as for shipping. Please, no chaeto or common caulerpa.

Thanks, in advance.

Sincerely,
Greg
-----

Sorry, I will post the pics shortly. My wife is making me go eat.

Last edited:
Pics

Pics

Pics

Attachments

• Picture 044.jpg
    Picture 044.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 041.jpg
    Picture 041.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 042.jpg
    Picture 042.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 043.jpg
    Picture 043.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 045.jpg
    Picture 045.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 0
I just can't see why you'd want to do this. Sounds like "Well, I've gone skydiving with a backup parachute for years... now I want to go without one for a while." Just me?

I love it. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Good luck!

For a good source of algae you can check out reefcleaners.org. Good people to call about suggestions too.

One might similarly ask, "Why go parachuting at all?"

Some build skimmers, which would be cheaper to buy. Some buy $3000 fish, when a $150 fish is prettier. Some collect chalices, which can't even be seen with the naked eye. Some run skimmer-less systems. Some run "water-change-less" systems.

To each his own.

It is just an experiment. Hopefully, I'll learn something along the way, and won't kill anything.

If you never ran across this thread it's an interesting read and a beautiful tank. May give some ideas as well. You may be interested in the maxijet attached to a surface skimmer as well to keep the scum off the top since you wont have to much flow and can direct it towards the inhabitants and not just the surface. Plus the corals would love the skum from the surface. :thumbsup:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1506957

BTW, here's the surface skimmer I'm talking about $10 at marinedepot. I actually had it hooked up to a hob skimmer and worked great.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Tom_Aqua...sories-Tom`s_Aquatics-OE1138-FIFRFASE-vi.html

m12*, I think we will need more than luck on this one. We are going to need a lot of patience, elbow grease, and salt.

By the way, anyone want to donate a bucket of salt?

Thanks again jason*. I have some interesting reading this evening.

I once ran a skimmer which consisted only of a large part of a sump, and some bubbles. I would go by daily, and skim the skum off the top of the water with a cup.

Talk about the crazy things we have done!!!

One might similarly ask, "Why go parachuting at all?"

Some build skimmers, which would be cheaper to buy. Some buy $3000 fish, when a $150 fish is prettier. Some collect chalices, which can't even be seen with the naked eye. Some run skimmer-less systems. Some run "water-change-less" systems.

To each his own.

It is just an experiment. Hopefully, I'll learn something along the way, and won't kill anything.

This statement is why I love Reef Aquarium Keeping...:thumbsup: Everyone has a different idea/spin/way of doing things...I think its awsome!!!

Wish you the best of luck!!

37g is not a large tank and running skimmerless with frequent water changes should be easy to maintain.
Come to the nano forum. Majority of us are filtration-less.

37g is not a large tank and running skimmerless with frequent water changes should be easy to maintain.
Come to the nano forum. Majority of us are filtration-less.

Just don't abandon this thread. I'm already subscribed to this one. :beer:

jason*, WOW Aquabucket's tank is beautiful. Thanks for posting that.

If anyone reading has not seen the thread jason* posted here, have a look. The look and concept are very, very nice.

Aquabucket appears to be as anal as I am.

Thanks theyammieguy. I am glad to hear this can be done. Hopefully, it can be done by me as well.

I will certainly try to gather information in the nano forum.

jason*, I'll keep updating. Even if it's just for you.

However, I am going to be quite humbled as I contrast my efforts to those of Aquabucket.

yeah keep us posted, this will be sweet. Basically gonna try an culture your own food for your Tangs is what i'm getting from this. Should be full of sponges that will act as a natural filtration, a DSB would be your best bet to keep Nitrates low. Good luck

Thanks ehren.

Indeed, the tangs should get some yummy treats occasionally.

The DSB is a great idea. I have reservations, though. My primary concern is the space they take up (this is a tiny tank, as it is). Although it wouldn't cost much to replace the sand bed every couple/few years, I don't really like the idea of an "imminent crash" lurking over my shoulder.

Reefcleaners.org does have a few algae types I might order (Wow, the shipping on these compared to corals should be a nice change. The cost of these is also refreshing. They even have an algae they are selling for 1 penny. Ha!).

Still, I recall visiting a site some time ago that had amazing algae types. I recall being blown away. As I have tangs, I knew they would be no more than snacks. So, no such algae here. I have no idea what site that might have been. I guess I have a new mission...finding algae. Hmm, that still sounds a bit weird. I am usually trying to get rid of the stuff.

Augh.

I found the website which I recalled had a few really nice macroalgae. It is LAReefs.com.

The funny thing is that I just received a coral order from them...THIS MORNING.

Well, I guess they will get some more of my money.

Damn it.

Back