filter sock and canister filter

cpm6t

I hooked up a sump to my system, 65g DT now has a 35g sump.
The DT also has a canister filter still running. Are there any bad effects if I leave it on?

I have added a filter sock to the inlet of sump. Seems to be filtering very well. The sock gets brown color within 4 days.
Is this bad for the pods and any micro organisms that I want to grow in my refugium and should be circulating in my system?

Pods and so on find a way to get through, even with pump blades whirring. Not as many as without a sock. If your canister is operating well, adding a sump will only intensify the amount it has to filter, i.e., you may want to investigate a bigger canister, depending on what size tank it's rated for now. Keeping up with cleaning it out may have to happen more often. Good luck-

SPS reef: filter sock, mega-skimmer. These corals want crystal clear water with no particulate.
LPS and softie reef: no filters, little skimmer. THese corals ARE filters.
Fish-only: any sort of filter you can manage and change it often.

SPS reef: filter sock, mega-skimmer. These corals want crystal clear water with no particulate.
LPS and softie reef: no filters, little skimmer. THese corals ARE filters.
Fish-only: any sort of filter you can manage and change it often.

Sorry to hijack this thread. Should you use 100 micron or 200 micron filter socks? I have SPS dominated system. For whatever it's worth, I have not used filter socks in my system for 2 years now. I have never used filter socks so don't know what the difference would be.

Alex

it really does nothing for you but give you 1 more thing to do maintenance on . sell it to a feshwater guy and use the $ to get something for your tank

I have two fx5's... I want to get rid of mine and put a sump. I have biocubes in them acting as another live rock senerio. I clean them every other week.

yeah, I think I will get rid of my canister filter in a week's time, give the sump time to catch up till then. I'll keep the filter sock ON for now and see how it goes.

That's not necessarily true. I've seen too many threads where something like poop holds a lot of weight. (food)

I'd suggest a skimmer to take place of the canister. For the electric I think you'll get better waste removal with cheaper maintenance than with the canister. You don't want to think just adding more water to the system with a filter sock is really doing a whole lot.

Back