filter sock

S13<3

KeepItSuperSimple
whats the appropriate size for a 20 long sump? 4x8.25 or 4x10?
also what micron? i dont want to change it daily, maybe twice a week?
and lastly does anyone have one (the right one) for sale so i can make the holder and mock it up in the sump

I'm using the 200 micron which is the 4"x8" one I believe. I have been changing mines daily but thats due to a weird slime issue I'm having still.

if your only changing it twice a week your going to be defeating the purpose

care to explain? im not very knowledgeable in the filter sock department, i see it as the filter floss pad i use in my hob filter which i change with my weekly water changes

it will depend on the load of your DT......if your only changing it twice a week with a heavy waste load then it is most likely building up a lot of waste and therefore nitrates ......the purpose is to extract from the water as much as you can, not congregate it and let it sit...I change it every other day if possible, if I only did mine twice a week it would be overflowing and bypassing the sock defeating the purpose of it.....if its overflowing think about it its doing nothing but holding all the waste in one spot building it up

...and if I remember correctly the last time I was over your place Mitch yours was overflowing and in need of changing thus bypassing the sock and defeating the purpose of it....

Some people don't like to spend all their free time maintaining their tanks like you Matt.. I change mine 2 or 3 times a week and never have a problem...and I use 100 micron socks...

its gonna be a 40breeder frag tank 20 long sump, tank will only have 2-4 fish tops, the rest will be sps, lps, zoos and prob a clam

that clam will assist on your nitrates and load should be low but its quality of water that will determine the amt of changes you will need to perform and as time goes on and the load grows and the need for better quality of water for higher end corals develops the need to export waste will out grow the once or twice a week

I'm using the 200 micron which is the 4"x8" one I believe. I have been changing mines daily but thats due to a weird slime issue I'm having still.

Same here, I find the water over flowing out of the sock everyother day. But I think 200 is the way to go, my 100 micron didnt last much after a few weeks of cleaning it.

Hey s13 I have the same setup exact setup. I think you will be ok with the 200 micron.

I currently have 2 socks, and a 'bag', the bag obviously last longer than the smaller sock.

NO matter what she said, in this case, size doesn't matter. Change the smaller one more often. FWIW

Same here, I find the water over flowing out of the sock everyother day. But I think 200 is the way to go, my 100 micron didnt last much after a few weeks of cleaning it.

I have 20 100 micron socks that I have had for over a year now and about 10 that I have had for over 3 years and they work as well as they did the day I got them...I change them every other day and wash them when I have about 20 used up....you guys must not be washing them too well.....set the machine to sanitary with double rinse, turn them inside out, use a small cup of bleach, do this twice through the cycle and they come out almost white

Some people don't like to spend all their free time maintaining their tanks like you Matt.. I change mine 2 or 3 times a week and never have a problem...and I use 100 micron socks...

ha ha ha and you are increasing the size of your DT by 5 times and are complaining about not wanting to take 30 seconds an extra day of the week to change a sock lol wait till you have that new set up running if you think you have free time now just wait

ok after seeing that socks go for $10 local and $6 online(which is nuts for felt and plastic) i have decided to make my own, i have the materials(which cost less than $9), i just cant figure out how long the sock needs to be and if it even matters, the holder will sit 1.5-2" under the black trim on the tank, which leaves 10" or so

Back