Filter socks or not

Have used them off and on. Currently don't use them, if you don't change or clean them frequently the do more harm than good

Have used them off and on. Currently don't use them, if you don't change or clean them frequently the do more harm than good

+1. If you don't plan on changing them every three days you're better off without. I ran them but got tired of changing them. Now I run them when I blow off my rocks

Thats just it, im tired of changing them
My last sump/fuge didnt have anywere to put a sock so I have never used one until I got my new sump
But now im just sick of the constent attention they require!

I use it only when I clean the tank. Thought about floss but need to modify my sump, too much work for something not needed at this time.

I use it only when I clean the tank. Thought about floss but need to modify my sump, too much work for something not needed at this time.

Interested in learning more about using floss instead of the socks. Anyone know of a good article or link about this?

Thanks

Only run for 2-3 hours every couple of days or when needed to clear up... After water change, feeding, or when there is any disturbed sediment in water column....

When water passes through organic matter for long periods of time it will break it down into smaller compounds or elements which are then consumed by nuisance algae, etc.

I'd liek to know where a good article about filter floss is.... I have been debating using a filter sock in my pico build but I'd prefer not to be changing it everday.... HOWEVER... i have a buddy who never changes his.... he cultured his copepods in the sock and they keep it clean... smart idea!

I have always run a sock. I do hate the constant cleaning of them. Those of you that don't use socks or floss doesn't your sump build up with crud?

I run sock (100 micron) and filter pad (50 micron) 24/7 but I replace them with new ones ever 3rd day when I clean out skimmer cup. Never had an issue. I also completely tear apart sump, clean it out along with my skimmer and phosphate reactor ever 3 months. I don't have a fuge.

I have always run a sock. I do hate the constant cleaning of them. Those of you that don't use socks or floss doesn't your sump build up with crud?

I you have good flow through your sump the particles stay suspended until they're skimmed out

Back