Filter Socks/Other Filters

quake120

I have a filter on the tube that goes to the sump (just a small piece of a filter), then my filter sock, then a filter on the return from the skimmer (Red Sea Prizm. Yeah I know it isn't a highly regarded skimmer. I don't wanna hear it :) Custom built skimmer coming soon...), and finally another small piece of filter on the return pump.
I just cleaned the filter sock tonight and it was absolutely caked in junk. Is it okay to thoroughly clean it without damaging the biological filter too much?

If you are curious, my most current parameters are:
pH: 8.1
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20PPM :)eek1: Getting a bit high)
SG: 1.024
Temp: 79F

What are these small pieces of filter you speak of?
What kind of tank do you have?
I change my tanks socks every 3 days, and I wash them in the washing machine with a little bleach.

I change my tanks socks every 3 days, and I wash them in the washing machine with a little bleach.

Hows that been working out for you? Cause even a small trace of bleach left over could wipe out you're whole tank.. If you ask me, you are playing with fire..

Hows that been working out for you? Cause even a small trace of bleach left over could wipe out you're whole tank.. If you ask me, you are playing with fire..

Works fine, I've seen a whole lot of people on these boards that clean their socks with bleach. I do the same, let it soak in some bleach, then rinse it out a few times with just water and hang it to air dry for a few days. Clorine evaporates, so basically once it's dry, it's ready to go.

I use a small amount of bleach to clean my filter socks as well, just rinse it good and let it dry. You'll be fine.

I also use bleach on my filter socks. As long as they are thoroughly rinsed and dried before going into the sump, its fine.

I bought a micro-fine filter from Petsmart that is intended to go in a cartridge type of filter. I cut it into some small pieces and put one in the skimmer cartridge (along with some carbon and a media bag), and one right before the return pump. Water is glassy clear now!

It works out great.....
I save up my dirty socks in a bucket of water, then when it's time to clean them I throw them in the washing machine....

small load
half a cap of bleach
extra rinse cycle
let dry

I bought a micro-fine filter from Petsmart that is intended to go in a cartridge type of filter. I cut it into some small pieces and put one in the skimmer cartridge (along with some carbon and a media bag), and one right before the return pump. Water is glassy clear now!

ok gotcha :)

Back