Filter socks washed with detergent and fabric softener

kevin_e

Long story short, my socks accidently made it into the wash with the clothes. Do you think running the socks through a bleach cyle and then an additional rinse cycle will, be okay?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I throw my filter socks in the wash with the rest of my clothes all the time and have never had a problem.

For 15 bux you really wanna take a chance? Id think if you re bleach and rinse several times youl'd be alright but why risk it? Good luck

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Why not? It's just detritus, fish food, poop etc. Do you wear gloves when you do maitenance on your tank? If your washing machine can't clean & rinse your clothes/socks properly then you've definitely got a problem. (especially for the price you probably paid for the unit)

Or my nasty clothes in with a dirty FS. Hahaha. Seriously though, just buy a new one.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Long story short, my socks accidently made it into the wash with the clothes. Do you think running the socks through a bleach cyle and then an additional rinse cycle will, be okay?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

The detergent is not likely to be an issue but a fabric softner is made of compounds that might be problematic to cell membranes. An additional problem is that the fabric softener is meant to bind to the fabric. How much is actually bound to the fabric is an unknown. How much is required to harm aquarium life is unknown. How much is removed by rewashing is an unknown.

If I wanted to salvage the filter socks, I would soak them in tank water for a couple days, shaking occassionally, and changing the water a few times and then rewashing them.

I suspect that washing them in a bit of vinegar would remove whatever is binding to them. That and some hot water likely would do the job. If you want to be very careful, ditching them is a reasonable idea.

For me, I'd rather get new filter socks than say later on that "well, i saved 15 dollars but it destroyed by tank"

I use to wash my filter socks by themselves using Cheer Detergent and Bleach. I stop doing that because sometimes I would notice extra micro bubbles. Otherwise no other issues. I now wash mine using bleach and Borax. Of course by themselves, my wife would kill me if I throw her clothes in with my dirty filter socks. In fact if she caught me washing them by them self she would kill me. Been doing it for years. Haven't got caught yet!:dance:

Like other said if you are concerned about the detergent then just pitch the sock and move on.

OH just noticed you included fabric softener. I would be concerned about that. Pitch it! Move on.

Thanks for all the input!

I was leaning towards tossing them before, and have now decided to do so. I just wanted to get some input and experienced. Not worth the risk for the replacement cost.

Back