filtering for 40 gallon

I personally would stray away from the hob filters all together... for a little more money spent you could have the tank drilled and install a small sump. then get a skimmer and your all set. Where in NY are you located?
Matt

You can use that filter, just remove the biowheel. I have a 30g with no sump and right now I'm using the largest Aqueon hob filter. Previously I've used the Aquaclear 70 and also a Whisper. I like to go with the largest one I can so it adds plenty of flow upon return to the tank.

you don't have to drill the tank though, you could just do an overflow box and a ''J'' tube. but either way the sump set up is the way to go IMO.

Re: filtering for 40 gallon

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15430962#post15430962 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JStraz4991
Is the Emperor 280 Marineland Bio Wheel Power Filter a good chose for my 40 gallon breeder fish only tank.

Yes, just ditch the bio wheel

Re: Re: filtering for 40 gallon

Re: Re: filtering for 40 gallon

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15431292#post15431292 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jasonrp104
Yes, just ditch the bio wheel

it will keep stuf alive but that doesn't mean its good

No, it's not the best solution but it will work on a fowlr if he doesn't mind changing water weekly. I know this for a fact. My preference is a sump and skimmer too but I kept my opinion to myself and just answered the question.

In my 40g I have live rock, plenty of flow, and a skimmer for filtration. I use a small HOB filter for carbon and GFO. ;)

I can understand that alot of people have that approach. what i dont understand is why, people come here for opinions, but you say YES for the sake of not upsetting anyone, why its not far to people that are looking to be put in the right direction. will it keep stuff alive, yes it will, is it a good filter, not IMO.
but nobody has to listen just give your opinion if someone listen or like it, oh well you tried.

Last edited:
Everyone seems to be saying get a sump and then a skimmer.

I say get a hang on skimmer and then later a sump if you are on a budget.

Ditch the Emperor.

It's a fowlr tank. As long as he has enough, liverock, doesn't overstock, and does a 5-10% wc every week, I doubt he'll have any problems. Using just a HOB is commiting yourself to ALOT more work to keep levels in check. Mine worked for quite awhile but I decided to start making a reef tank so I started using it just for carbon and GFO until I got a reactor.

If you are looking for the better way, go with a sump. I think I spent a little over $100 bucks making mine. Most of that $100 was spent on the HOB overflow and return pump

If the tank already has water and fishes in it, drilling may not be much of an option.

Personally, I'm not inclined to trust siphon overflows. I have one on my HOB refugium, and it's far from perfect.

It's how I roll...life on the edge ;)

I didn't have much of a choice, so I was stuck with it

edit: Bio wheels are so good at making nitrate, it becomes an issue eventually. I also hated them for the salt creep they caused. Even with the cover, I had a nice, slow buildup of salt all around the filter. Much less when they were removed

Bio wheels provide a strongly aerobic environment for bacteria. The bacteria that live on the bio wheel convert ammonia to nitrite, then to nitrate.

What they can't do is the last step, converting nitrate to nitrogen gas. That requires anaerobic bacteria. They live in places with very little oxygen, like a deep sand bed or inside live rock.

If you have a bio wheel without enough live rock, the level of nitrate in your aquarium will stay pretty high, and your fishes won't be at their best. Fishes can tolerate higher nitrate levels than corals, but it's still better to keep nitrate production in balance with nitrate removal.

ok so anything that will keep bacteria i should get rid of? so now is there any use in running a carbon filter if you have a skimmer? ive read it will help keep the water clean

I dont have a enough money right now to start a sump.but do you have any HOB filters that you would recommend or even canister filters that are good for a fish only saltwater 40 gallon breeder tank

Back