Finally after 8 months 156g up and running!

alve

My tank arrived in May last year and finally a week ago, 8 months later I have water in it!

Using whatever little bit of free time I had and doing lots and lots of research and reading here on RC, I finally got to the point that I can post some pictures and see what you all think.

This is my setup:

156g Oceanic Reef Ready
55g + 10g sump
Mag18 return pump
2 Tunze 6101's with Multicontroller
Euroreef RS 250 skimmer
Outer Orbitz lights with 2 x 250W and T5's
Phosban Reactor 150

I used live rock from my 100g that had been up and running for 7 years. Some of the rock I brought to the LFS because I had lots and lots of mushrooms that I did not want in the new set up.

The LFS also took back a purple dottyback who had been terrorizing the tank for the last couple years. That fish was so bad that he killed a six line wrasse, 2 fire fish and even a small yellow tang! My family and I spent days and days trying to catch him but he was a smart little bugger, even fish traps, coke bottles with inverted tops... didn't work.

I also added Marco Rock that I had curing for almost 4 weeks in a tub in the garage and replaced the sandbed with Aragamax sugar size, seeding it with a couple of cups of my old sand.

Next to the display tank I set up a 20g QT where I kept a pair of clown fish and a coral beauty. Unfortunately I lost the coral beauty that i had for 5 years. He was doing great but I had a hard time catching him and I think he got too stressed. The next morning, in the QT, he was laying on his side breathing really hard and did not recover anymore
:( . I kept the 2 clown fish and the hammer and torch in there for a week and after daily water testing of the DT I put them in this morning.

I did not want to have a big pile of rocks so I decided to try the drilling and using of aqrylic rods and that worked very well.

The left side of the tank drains partially in a 10g sump that sits behind and higher than the 55g sump, the rest goes to the skimmer section. The 10g sump is filled with live rock and flows over in the refugium side of the 55g sump where there is also some live rock (I still have to add Chaeto).

So finally the new tank is up and I wanted to hear from you guys what you think since I only managed this project with all the hours of reading and researching on RC. Anything you think should be changed?

The six green chromis in the QT were bought today and will be in QT for 4 weeks.

Over time I would like to have this stocking list (I am not in a hurry):

- 2 Clown Fish
- 6 Green Chromis (I know that it is hit or mis and I might loose most of them after a few months)
- 2 Banggai Cardinals (mated pair of i can find one)
- 1 Yellow Clown Goby
- 1 Yellow Tang
- 1 Regal Tang
- 1 Flame Angel
- 1 Coral Beauty

For corals I would like to eventually add LPS and some SPS.

What do you think of my fish list, is that ok for my setup?

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

tank5.jpg

tank3.jpg

tank4.jpg

Mytank0127sm.jpg

Love it =D wish i had room for somthing that...
How'd you find the marco rocks? Service, shipping quality ext
Thinking of ordering my rock for my new 65 and seeding it with some rock from J&L

Thank you guys!

Twz, I love the Marco Rocks! Very good service, received them within a week of ordering and the pieces looked great. If I ever need to buy rock again it would be Marco Rock.
I read somewhere here on RC that they are back ordered, somebody was waiting for about a month now so it might take a little longer to receive them but definitely worth it if you are not in a rush!

Thank you, Alve, probley a good thing im not in a hurry then =D
Hehe, I think your rock work is absolutly beautiful,
Wow just noticed my spell check just stoped working =S

The only thing I regret so far is that I used the sugar sized Aragamax (0.2 to 1.22 mm grain size) with the Tunze 6101's.
I can only run them at 40% without blowing sand all over. Wish I had gone with coarser sand so I could have more flow.

Your set up looks very nice! High quality equipment and great aquascaping. Your fish list looks good too. However, the flame angle and coral beauty may nip at your corals.

Otherwise, great tank!

Which one of the two would be less likely to nip at corals? As far as I read on here some people do have problems with them nipping at corals, others don't.
I would hate to put a coral beauty in and have to catch him later on. I had a hell of a time catching the one I had in my 100g and unfortunately he did not survive. I never saw him nip on anything except rock and sand.

Scrmbld33,

It's 60" x 24" x 24". I love the depth of this tank. My 100g was also 60" but only 18" deep and I love this much better. On the 100g my rock was stacked against the back glass. Now there is so much more room to place rock without having it touch the back glass.

Back