Finally caught the crab eating my corals!

Allin14

Over the past few months I have noticed something tearing up my corals and clams, and when I came home tonight I saw this $%#& Crab eating my yellow toadstool!! It took a little while but I caught him. Anyone seen anything like it?

DSCF0049.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9852264#post9852264 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cfarrow2
eat him to absorb all his powers!

I thought you had to sacrifice it to the porcelain god at high tide. Have I been doing it wrong?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9852289#post9852289 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kfowler
I thought you had to sacrifice it to the porcelain god at high tide. Have I been doing it wrong?

I'm sorry, I don't mean to do this, but after these few lines, all I can picture is this movie.

monster_squad.jpg

Whoa! Wolfman's got Nards!

"eat him to absorb all his powers!"

hahahahahahaha ...now that's funny. .. lol ;)

I say grow him out in the sump...then eat him with garlic butter ....yummmm

They're acro crabs. I got one when I bought an acrophora online and was told it would be okay and wouldn't harm the coral. It stayed within the confines of the coral for protection from the fish. I thought it was one of those relationships like a clown fish and BTA. Within about a 2 - 3 week period of time the coral suddenly started turning white one branch at a time till it was all dead. I'm still not sure if the crab killed the coral or not. I never saw the crab doing any damage to the coral but that doesn't explain why the coral started dying either.

The pictures of the crabs that have been posted do not look like any acro crab I have seen. I have acro colonies with 'acro crabs' in them and they are completely benificial. There are many other crabs that can be very destructive.

Crab

Crab

From everyones opinion it seems to be a a stone crab,and I just got lucky when I cought him. He kept running away and hiding everytime I came close to the tank, but yesterday I came home and he was munchin away on my toadstool and I just reached in and grabbed him. But I have heard if you put a smooth glass in your tank leaning on some rock and put a piece of shrimp at the bottom the crab will crawl in and not be able to get out. Good luck these crabs suck!!

Back