Finally finished sump. Need help

nivram

I finally got everything I needed and finished my sump.

It's not the prettiest, but each chamber holds water and doesnt leak.

Then my wife asked, is it going to fit? I said, " sure it will I measure everything before making it. See!" Then as I tried to slide it thru. Well lets just say I never thought about how I was going to get it inside the cabinet. It looks like the easiest thing to do is knock out the center brace.

If I cut this and place two pieces to the side of the original brace. Do you think it will be ok? Tank is a 65 gal. I say cut because it looks like the center brace is stapled and glued. I am going to get a pry bar and give it another try. I just dont want to damage the other wood around it.

TIA,
Marvin

Hard to tell from the pictures but did you measure skimmer height with the height you have inside that cabinet? I'm sure you did - You measure everything before making/buying it. Right?

IF you find you need just a little bit more height besides needing to get the sump put in there then I would suggest cutting out the bottom so the sump can actually sit on the floor. Then pick the whole cabinet up and set it down on top of the sump.

Marvin,

I cut my back center brace completely out in my old 55G to fit a new sump. I never replaced it and I have no problems. I was concerned abou teh weight and what not but as long as you have one brace up the tank should be fine. Seeing as it is a 65G it is not too long either. My current 90G stand I built does not have a rear center brace either. Tank has been running for over a year with no problems.

HTH,

Mike

i built the stand for my 90g without a center brace for this exact reason. .

i dont think you will have any problem cutting it out and replacing it. if your worried you could always cut some 2"X4"'s and use them to brace closer to the side while putting the sump in.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12917692#post12917692 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coralfragger101
Hard to tell from the pictures but did you measure skimmer height with the height you have inside that cabinet? I'm sure you did - You measure everything before making/buying it. Right?

IF you find you need just a little bit more height besides needing to get the sump put in there then I would suggest cutting out the bottom so the sump can actually sit on the floor. Then pick the whole cabinet up and set it down on top of the sump.

It will all fit once inside the cabinet. The problem is getting it in the cabinet. I thought about cutting the floor out. But I think I will go with removing the center brace and then installing it back in with screws. Last thing I want to do right now is damage the stand or compromise the integrity of the stand. 65 Gallons is a lot of water. Somehow I feel the wife would not appreciate it if it all ended up on the floor.

confirming_outline.jpg

jigsaw2.jpg

inserting_sump.jpg

btw those pics are from melevsreef ;)

Al, I'm just not that talented with a jig saw :) It would be nice to have a side door. But then i would have to try and find one to match the front ones.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12921254#post12921254 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nivram
It will all fit once inside the cabinet. The problem is getting it in the cabinet. I thought about cutting the floor out. But I think I will go with removing the center brace and then installing it back in with screws. Last thing I want to do right now is damage the stand or compromise the integrity of the stand. 65 Gallons is a lot of water. Somehow I feel the wife would not appreciate it if it all ended up on the floor.

With the tank in place (within the cabinet) how much room will you have from the front top edge of the tank to the top of the door frame opening?

Back