FINALLY Ready...

Trandall

This journey began on Nov. 1st. There has been a few snags along the way...leaking defective sump, LED lights burnt out, etc. etc. but the end result was worth it.

Last night, hubby & I installed our new lighting system over our 210 gallon tank. WOW! Do the new lights make that tank sparkle and shine. I can't believe how much I was missing with the other lights. Just an FYI...we purchased the Outer Orbit HQI/T5 high output Fixture with the LED lunars. Super lights.

Now we are FINALLY ready to add fish. Tank levels are all great. But the water does look just a tiny bit yellow. Never noticed that until the new lights either. Levels are all great so I'm guessing I just need to run some carbon for a bit to brighten up the water??

Also.... the little teeny white guys running all over the glass, etc. I'm guessing those are Copepods and a good thing? Never saw them before either.

Another question or two if you don't mind as I keep getting conflicting info from my books and other compatibility charts as well.

These are the types of fish I want. Will start out with juvvies/small ot mediums...

1. Larger Angel perhaps a French, Queen, Passer, blue, 1/2 moon, etc.

Could I put a dwarf suxh as a Flame in there with a larger Angel without problems??

2. A couple Tangs. I want a Purple and perhaps a mimic, Orange-shoulder, kole, etc. will get one from another Genus for sure.

3. Trigger... Picasso, Assasi, Pink-tail, bluethroat, Crosshatch, niger...

** Can a person keep 2 triggers in the same tank with careful selection? Or will ANY 2 triggers fight?

4. Puffer...Dog face, Sharpnose, giunea Fowl or a porky??

5. Wrasses.... I want a Harlequin Tusk, perhaps a moon, bird or blue head??

6. Would like an Engineer or Dragon Gobie....

Do you think they would survive with the other choices listed??

7. A hawk... Flame, Falco or Giant??

8. Clown & or Damsels.... Was thinking either a Marron or Tomato clown.

Would LOVE to have an Anenome in there with the clown but am told an Anenome wouldn't survive with a Puffer, Trigger or larger Angel. **Is this true? Has anyone kept one with these types of fish??

Perhaps a couple damsels??? Yellow tail, humbug, Jewel, 3-spot???

So please, anyone with an aggressive tank or anyone who has tried this type of line up, please give me your thoughts. And I should reconsider?

Also...many of these say *Add last*. Gotta start somewhere. so who would be better to add first, last etc??

I know I asked this before but I've been so wrapped up in getting the tank, sump and lights all ready I don't rmember the advice, sorry and I must have delted the emails.

I'm ready and anxious to add fish now and would like to do it right.

Also... I'm thinking with a 210 gallon, I could safely add 2 to 3 fish at the same time initially?

Does that sound doable?

I also have about 175 pounds of live rock in there and it's doing very well. Fully cured, lots of coralline groth, good color, etc.

Thank you in advance for your help and guidance.
Terri Randall.

JustinReef

You must be very excited!

Heres my Opinion on a few of the fish:

3. A pair of Bluethroats would be very nice. They get along very well in pairs or even as a male with two females. Gorgeous triggers and pretty much the least aggressive. Its a bit more hit or miss with other kinds but people do it successfully all the time.

4. I would go dogface or porc for your tank based on the fact that it sounds like you want quite a lot of fish! They are a little smaller. Be very careful with them and make sure you QT because they get ich VERY easily.

5. Tusk would be a good choice and you could still do another Wrasse like a Christmas Wrasse (my fav)

6. Careful here...they can be picked on by some of the more aggressive fish. Hit or miss kind of thing.

Only other thing I would add is to QT your fish. For some reason people in the agressive forum often disagree with me but anywhere else on RC people will agree 100%...I am still not sure why so many people with FOWLR tanks think QT is not necessary :( I even recently heard someone say it was too stressful in their opinion which is not true if its done right. With this many fish being added to a tank, your gaurunteed to see some ich if you do not QT.

Good luck!

paveking1

I add my 2 cents , Justinpsmith answered most,I would add the angel last & dont mix pygmy with large angels ,Adding 2to3 at a time is ok just watch your water params,wait 3to 4 weeks before adding more to let bioload catch up,then add a couple more & wait again.And as justin smith said qt tank is a must you will save alot of heartache,copper & live rock total wipe out if fish have ich.

JustinReef

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11623831#post11623831 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by paveking1
I add my 2 cents , Justinpsmith answered most,I would add the angel last & dont mix pygmy with large angels ,Adding 2to3 at a time is ok just watch your water params,wait 3to 4 weeks before adding more to let bioload catch up,then add a couple more & wait again.And as justin smith said qt tank is a must you will save alot of heartache,copper & live rock total wipe out if fish have ich.

Yeah and this made me think...If you are getting 2-3 fish at once, make sure your QT can handle the load. Both space and biological filter. I QT'd a Porc and Trigger together once and space was fine but water quality was a little off. I had to really do a lot of water changes. Right now I have a few fish QT'd but I cycled the QT tank for a month first. This time I just do one water change a week and everything is stable. Just some other things to consider :)

Trandall

Thank you justinpsmith & paveking1 ! I appreicate your input and will def. use a QT tank. Learned that the hard way a long time ago with one of my smaller tanks. No way am I taking any risks with this new bigger tank. spent way too much money, time and effort to cut any corners now.
Thanks again~
Terri

JustinReef

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11625130#post11625130 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Trandall
Thank you justinpsmith & paveking1 ! I appreicate your input and will def. use a QT tank. Learned that the hard way a long time ago with one of my smaller tanks. No way am I taking any risks with this new bigger tank. spent way too much money, time and effort to cut any corners now.
Thanks again~
Terri

Oh good to hear! Thats exactly why I find it hard to believe so many people do not QT...They spend soooo much time and money on their tank and then skip this step. And its such an important step to a healthy tank. You may want to throw a sponge in the tank or sump now to get a head start on a filter for your QT.

So when are you going to go get your first few fish???

Trandall

Well....considering I do not have a LFS and will likely have to oirder on line, I'm not sure. Right now here in COLD Wyoming, we are in the midst of a winter storm warning with snow and high winds making the wind chill somewhere near 15 below zero!

Not a good time to be shipping tropical fish to Wyoming I don't think.

I understand there are some very high quality on line suppliers of live stock and they pack them very well including heat packs and ship overnight as well but I don't think I want to chance it right now.

My other option is to drive for 2.5 hours and pick some up at the nearest FS to me. But their selection and stock is not usually very good.

Looks like I will have to be pateint a while longer <sigh>.
Terri Randall

Trandall

Well my basic flitration is obviously my live rock, I've got around 175 pounds in the tank itself and more in the sump. I have a sump system & a protein skimmer. Great water flow too.

Trandall

Stats.....
UP2000 Filter Package Deal #3 includes:
1 - #AL2173 - UP2000RR with Media
1 - #AL3488 - 22V Protein Skimmer
1- #DA6329 - Mag 1200, 1200gph
1 - #5069 - 3/4` Female Adapter, Insert x Fipt
1 - #5095 - 3/4` 90 combo
1 - #5146 - 3/4` tubing
1 - #5141 - 1` Plug, Mipt