Finally, The Ultimate Fuge lighting (pics)

ianward

After having very little success with two "plant Grow" 60w floods from Home Depot, I upgraded my lights to two 36" 39W Powercrome Midday T5's, on the suggestion of my LFS, J&L Aquatics in Vancouver Canada.
Admittedly I have had a nutrient surge this week as my hermits have all died off after a Red Bug treatment but this growth pattern was also observed last week before the RB treatment.

Here is the previous setup.
Sump2.jpg

This is the start, Day one, after removing almost a full 5 Gal bucket of Cheato.
Day1Start.jpg

Day Two, after moving the lights down 2".
Day2.jpg

Day Three.
Day3.jpg

Day Four.
Day4.jpg

Day Five.
Day5.jpg

Not bad eh?

Ian Ward

atvdave
Ummm, well look at the dates Mate, thats 14 days to what? triple in size, whereas these take 3 maybe 4 days.
Eh?

Ok Yes, but at least those nutrients are now getting exported, which was what I thought the whole idea was about :) also could be excess Co2, however in just the before and after pics you can see the increased light and penitration of that light for less wattage.
I only wanted to show you some lights I thought were awsume, hey! they have made a HUGE diff in my tank.
If you don't like em then don't use em.

ianward,

What ballast are you running? Also what is that bulb a 6500K?

Looks good.

I purchased a 36" T5 retrofit kit from sunlight supply, the balast came with the kit and the two bulbs are 6,000 K.
Hey, I was just up in Anchorage, I fly for Cathay Pacific.
Any good LFS's up there??
Cheers

Man i need to change bulbs then, I dont get any growth from my chaeto. Well it takes 3 mos to notice a little.
Hmm i have to try some diff bulbs.

Creetin
Well thats just how mine was I was gunna double up on the grow bulbs but my LFS steared me toward these and wow I just can't believe the diff, I am no longer chasing Nitrates.
I had tryed to get the bulbs that Melev has but can't get them up here in Canada and was having trouble getting them shipped from the states. now I am glad I had trouble with them as these seem to be way superior and the T5's will last way longer than the floods.
Cheers

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9270793#post9270793 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ianward
I was just up in Anchorage, I fly for Cathay Pacific.
Any good LFS's up there??

We have 2 that are worth a look, nothing special. The Reef located in the Sears mall, and The animal house on International airport Rd.

Great
There are lots of banned things here in Canada like Flatworm Exit that I would love to pick up on my next trip so I will look out for them.
Cheers

Back