FINNEX 22G GLASS M-TANK w/ 150watt HQI + 36W PC + LED UPGRADE JOURNAL (pics a must!)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8118232#post8118232 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CamBarr
can the tank be purchased by itself?

Hey Cam, yes it can. Give Chris at nanotuners. com a call and ask him for the Finnex 22g w/o the light.
I just ordered mine today, tank only, 150w Sunpod, and stand. It will be here Wednesday too!:rollface:

NYproDJ -

Hey, that's a cool idea...can you explain more, more pics, etc?

I am setting up a new cube tank soon and I want as clean a look as possible...have been wondering about some uncommon ways to hide things, etc when you have a tank w/out an overflow or overflow wall that hides everthing...

Thanks, Matt

That isn't my tank! Thats just an example of along the lines of what I am planning to do.... I should be recieving the tank either tommorow or thursday.... but you never know with UPS (un-reliable package services) .... anywho I would like the entire back wall of the tank to be a reef wall! Why have wasted space? Who wants to see black acrylic that turns pink and purple anywho!

I am ready to cry right now... my tank arrived pretty quickly which made me happy but it arrived in pieces... broken glass everywhere! Got to love UPS (unreliable postal services) going to attempt to rectify the situation - at lease the skimmer, pumps and lighting fixture seem alright... now on to the stand

The stand is garbage! nearly impossible to put together - came with terrible instructions and some of the metal inserts inside the wood for the screws came loose... yeah tommorow is going to be a fun day on the phone with premium aquatics.... rawrr!

Clean tank...

Clean tank...

the 5.5 mini m-tank after a cleaning...

desk.jpg

sideview.jpg

sponge.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8189598#post8189598 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NYproDJ
I am ready to cry right now... my tank arrived pretty quickly which made me happy but it arrived in pieces... broken glass everywhere! Got to love UPS (unreliable postal services) going to attempt to rectify the situation - at lease the skimmer, pumps and lighting fixture seem alright... now on to the stand

The stand is garbage! nearly impossible to put together - came with terrible instructions and some of the metal inserts inside the wood for the screws came loose... yeah tommorow is going to be a fun day on the phone with premium aquatics.... rawrr!

Argh! I just ordered this tank and the stand! :(

Good luck getting it all straightened out.

Also, what thread did you pull those reef shelf pictures from? I'd like to learn more about how the person set it up.

EDIT:

Ahh, found that thread:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=725727

Thanks!

Got mine today, intact thank goodness!!!
Along with the 150w sunpod. Its a sweet little tank, the display is only 16.5g but I think I can make it work

UPDATE!

UPDATE!

Okkkkk the news ya'll have been waiting for!

I managed to throw together the stand using a massive amount of the best stuff on earth - gorilla glue! Put the tank ontop of the stand... let it solidfy over night and then I washed out the tank and filled it up to test for leaks and to make sure everything worked. Everything works and their is no leaks!

I went out to petco and purchase 5 x 5gallons of natural premixed seawater... i only needed 3.5 boxes for a total over 17.5 gallons of water in my 22 gallon tank... go figure. I put a 1.5" layer of live sand I already had in a bucket from a friends tank that got broken down over a year ago... sand looks great and water took about 12+ hours to clear up.

The filtration on the tank is wonderful... I am breaking in the skimmer and the light for the next few days - the rain trays work very well - it's raining!

Only thing broken on the tank is a piece of glass that sits on the front to cover part of the tank... but Jay from premium aquatics was super helpful and got Ken over at finnex to ship me out a new one!

After a few days I will go shopping to purchase some light diffuser from home depot to use for the back rock wall... I will cut it to the appropriate size and attach pieces of base rock using zip ties and then submerge it into the tank. After that is completed I will weigh it dry and go buy some live rock to jump start the system.

Stay tuned, there are MANY Pics to come!

Oh... I almost forgot... the glass finnex used is super heavy duty... the tank is constructed like a TANK (like ones used in a WAR) ... it is also super clear... maybe its starfire? Who knows!

Is the inside bulkhead made of glass or acrylic? Just curious, in case I want to drill some more holes in it.

I'm not sure what you are referring too but i hope this helps: the false wall is acrylic... the divider in the back of the tank behind the false wall creating two chambers is acrylic... everything else is glass... why would you want to drill more holes? I am designing an up and over then back down plumbing for a second pump to get more flow to the bottom of the tank. I will hide it behind the rock wall im building and divert half the flow behind the rock wall and half into the display.

Yes I meant the false wall... I was thinking for drilling it for another bulkhead... which is why I probably said bulkhead.

I'd drill another hole for a second return, rather than do the up and over pipes.

I did it in my NC12 and it worked out well. Drilled a hole in the middle chamber, put in a new pump and a Y-fitting with two nozzles on it.

Unfortunatly there are only 2 chambers on this tank but I was thinking I can put another pump ontop of the bottom rain tray... I would have drilled the false wall for a bulkhead but i'd rather do the up and over because my rock wall will hide it anyway... plus the tank is already filled with water... hit me up on AIM to chat my SN is NYPRODJ

SAND --> SNAILS --> HERMITS!

SAND --> SNAILS --> HERMITS!

Ok busted my a** all weekend working... heading 3 hours back upstate to school... and after my human sexuality test on monday morning I will begin construction on the reef rock wall!

How many snails & hermits do you guys think I need to put in my tank?

I am glad premium aquatics worked out...they are based here in chicago and everone LOVES them. Great people to work with. Small business, that serves a lot of people.

when are there going to be pics man?

human sexuality test huh? fun to study i am sure...

PICTURE TIME!

PICTURE TIME!

Finally!

Check out the heater I bought from premium aquatics... its AMAZING!
My Heater!

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

More pics to come when the sun comes out and I have some live rock and the microbubbles from the break in process for the skimmer go away...

Two of the pics are of my chocolate chip who has been trained not to eat my corals. He lives in my 5.5 and when he gets hungry he eats a snail which is fine by me, cheaper to replace... he also hops over my false wall into the fuge and filter chambers and cleans them... I love my choco! He will be going in my bigger tank when he grows!

These pics were taken with the 2x18w actnic bulbs on...

Back