Fire Shrimp VS Cleaner Shrimp

Mojo Jojo

In Memoriam
Which is better to have in the tank a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp or a Red Fire Shrimp? They both like to eat parasites.

I also have both, but I would recommend the skunk cleaner. My reasoning behind this is that they are cheaper and have tons more personality. ie they don't hide all the time.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9247142#post9247142 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ataylo13
I also have both, but I would recommend the skunk cleaner. My reasoning behind this is that they are cheaper and have tons more personality. ie they don't hide all the time.

They are not that much cheeper any more but I agree the cleaner is much more friendly I only see my fire shrimp when I feed the cleaners are out all the time

I have both in my tank, but I believe the fire shrimp is more of an aggressive cleaner then the skunk cleaner. Having that said, it was the fire shrimp that cleaned my Rock Beauty angel, after he was practically begging my skunk cleaner to do it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9247179#post9247179 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by whiirly
They are not that much cheeper any more but I agree the cleaner is much more friendly I only see my fire shrimp when I feed the cleaners are out all the time

I would disagree. Granted I got my fire shrimp when he was on sale, but generally I see those things for $40 to $45 each! Cleaners U usually see for $20 to $25 each. I think that's a pretty good difference ;)

But, I do agree that the skunk cleaners have more personality. My fire just sits behind a peice of LR all day. He only comes out when I feed the tank, then he goes right back to his little cleaning station he set up.

I only see my fire shrimp at feeding time. I have never observed it cleaning anyone. My cleaner is a real character! He rides my SeaSwirl all day, like an amusement park ride. I mean, he's on there all the time! The fish always know just where to find him.

I have both. One fire, two cleaner, and two pacific peppermint :D 120 gal. 24x48x24 hope this helps....carl

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9247958#post9247958 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pufferpunk
I only see my fire shrimp at feeding time. I have never observed it cleaning anyone. My cleaner is a real character! He rides my SeaSwirl all day, like an amusement park ride. I mean, he's on there all the time! The fish always know just where to find him.

That guy is funny:lol: ... I think I'll save up for a cleaner then. I remember seeing some at Coral Reef for $20. :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9247888#post9247888 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by steri
I would disagree. Granted I got my fire shrimp when he was on sale, but generally I see those things for $40 to $45 each! Cleaners U usually see for $20 to $25 each. I think that's a pretty good difference ;)

You must live up North I got my Fire shrimp for $25 and see the Cleaners for around that all the time now

Yes, I live in the northern Burbs. If I found Fire shrimp regularly for $25, I would buy more of them then the one I have ;)

I only bought the one I got because OCean's Floor had a sale a couple weeks back for $24.50 for fire shrimp. I never see them that cheap up here!

Back