Firefish in bad shape

bat21

So I came home to see my firefish lying on his side today. And when I nudged him, he swam in a spinning motion, seemingly unable to stay upright. He's breathing very heavy. I immediately put him in a hospital tank. He is moving erratically and always ends up resting on the bottom. I don't see any obvious signs of disease whatsoever. It's possible his eye are slightly bulging, but I may be imagining that.

The 3 other fish in the tank, a clown, cardinal, and possum wrasse are all behaving completely normal and healthy.

I have made no changes to the tank, no additions, in months. I did notice he had been hiding more than usual lately, but he has gone through phases like that before, so I didn't think anything of it.

He is wild caught. I have had him for 3 years now. It's within the realm of possibility it could just be old age. But any suggestions you may have, I'm all ears!

After about a half hour in the hospital tank, his breathing seems to have slowed down, and looks more normal. He's still not moving properly, and unable to stay totally upright. But he looks calmer. Still can't tell if his eyes look bulging or not. Debating a round of antibiotics. Can't think of anything else to try.

It does not sound good when they lose swimming ability. I am not trying to be insensitive but my guess that no matter what you may try , it will be unsuccessful . Are any of the other fish new acquisitions .

I'd just keep it in your hospital tank for a while, see if you can get it to eat or not while letting it adjust to being in another tank.good luck

It does not sound good when they lose swimming ability. I am not trying to be insensitive but my guess that no matter what you may try , it will be unsuccessful . Are any of the other fish new acquisitions .

This is absolutely my feeling as well. But he is still kicking today. And besides being on the bottom, does not really look stressed. I did decide to do a round of antibiotics, because why the hell not. But overall, I am not getting my hopes up.

Thanks for the replies.

Update: I got him to eat a tiny bit yesterday, continued the antibiotics. Got him to eat a little more today, and gave third dose of antibiotics. Yesterday I was convinced he was blind. He was swimming into things and not really responding to anything, but today, I tried to feed him singular brine shrimp right near his face and he definitely saw them and grabbed them. So, I am maybe a teeny tiny bit optimistic? Or at least more optimistic than I was two days ago when I thought he was dead. He also seems to be keeping himself upright slightly better and not falling to his side as much. Still not getting my hopes up, but Louis is a fighter! He is not giving up.

Update 2: I think the feeding has given him energy. I'm even seeing him swim up off the bottom for small periods of time. And he is in total control of his balance and motion. I'm kind of in shock at what I'm seeing right now.

6 days later, antibiotics finished, and it's a freaking miracle. Going to monitor him for another week, but he went from death's doorstep, unable to stay upright, unable to swim straight, seemingly blind, back to his normal, upright, always looking for a hiding spot firefish self. I didn't take any pictures of when he was in bad shape because I honestly just thought he was done.

He must have had some kind of horrible infection. I don't know how else to explain this. But I guess the lesson is don't give up even when it looks hopeless.

Attachments

• back from the dead.jpg
    back from the dead.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 0
Good to hear . So what antibiotic did u use

Maracen 2. Was the only one that I had on hand. It's technically expired too, but I've been told that, within reason, especially if the packaging is sealed, you can ignore expiration dates on antibiotics.

I'm also doing several water changes in the display tank before I put him back in, but every other living thing is fine so I really don't think anything is wrong in there. But just being extra cautious.

My wife is very happy. She is particularly attached to this little guy. Was tough to see him in such bad shape.

Another update. After looking 100% normal all weekend, now two days removed from antibiotics, he seems to be having a bit of a swim bladder issue. His back half is floating up and he is constantly trying to swim down and stay on the bottom, which he usually doesn't have a problem doing. It is definitely stressing him out, so I think I'm going to do another round of Maracyn. Maybe the infection wasn't completely killed.

So, 24 hours after the start of the second round of antibiotics, and the swim bladder/buoyancy problem is fixed. He is able to control himself vertically, and comfortably rest at the bottom. However, he is breathing very heavy and I could not get him to eat last night. Was still breathing very heavy this morning. I don't know what the heck is wrong with this fish.

I can't really tell you why or what . Breathing fast is sometimes an indication of Gill parasites or damage from ammonia . I was surprised that he lived this long I think it's time for you to get another one

Thanks for the replies Louis. (Coincidentally, this fish's name is Louis!) Ammonia can't be the issue right now, I'm making sure of that. He also ate more tonight than he has since I put him in quarantine, so I'm just going to stay the course with the Maracyn for now. If I do lose him though, I don't think I'm going to get another firefish. They are too timid and easily bullied. Without him in the display tank, it opens up a much larger selection of fish I could add.

Finally lost him. Only a few hours after eating about a dozen brine shrimp. Very strange two weeks this fish had. Came back from the dead twice. Oh well. Time to figure out a new fish to buy.

Back