First complete tests.

itz frank

Gives Bad Advice.
Ok so i took my first complete test here with my new test kit and i'm afraid that i'm not very pleased with the results. I know that this can be fixed with proper water changes but i wanna nip it in the butt so that i don't deal with this constantly.

NO3- 20 ppm
Ammonia - 0.25 ppm
pH 8.0
NO2- 0.1 ppm

Thoughts? Overfeeding? Blah blah. Any input is greatly appreciated. Also i'm dealing with a heat issue where i additionally purchased a fan today.

I guess I am a little confused? (happens all the time). Are you talking about a reef tank? What size (I see 20 gal and 90 gal in your sig).

What kinds of life? How long has it been set up?

Michael

It's a 90 gal. Been up for a month. No cycle because i used liverock from another tank. It is a reef. I've been having some problems with my zoa's melting and a few other things don't look happy. I'm guessing this has to do with my extreme temps but i'm taking care of that too. Anything else i can do? To straighten out my params?

PH seems low... I think it should be 8.2-8.4 if I remember right. You may need to start buffering or dosing your water for stability...

Sometimes zoo's melting can be caused by an irritant in one or some of the polyps, or a crab bothering it. Hobbiests say that they make sure that they blow the detritus off their zoo's.

I didn't know you had extreme temp issues. That could make a mess.

Michael

Well my temps are about 84 degrees constantly. I installed a fan today to try and help that and then maybe add an additional if i can't hlep it enouhg like that. After that thought my only solution may be to buy a chiller.

Here is a link. This will tell you the correct parameters. I would be a meter for ph, they are the most accurate. For the other tests like alk and calk and magnesium I would get Salifert. They are the most accurate. I would not think of putting anything in the tank until you get the parameters straight.

Since you used cured live rock I am a little suspect that your ammonia reading is correct. Does not seem right.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

The best thing to get in this hobby is a lot of patience. It will serve you well.

Regards,

Pat

Unless i read it wrong or there's soemthing wrong with my meter i'm pretty sure i did it right. I'll test again and repost.

Ammonia readings (esp Red Sea kits) are notorious for being inaccurate or hard to read (everyone sees color different anyway).

Make some fresh saltwater, test it (many find it is the same color as their .25 tank water)

You said your tank has been up for a month. The corrective action at this stage is to wait.

Mike

Back