First CUC

Shan85

Hi guys .. My tank has just finished cycling .. There's plenty of brown algae so I was thinking of getting my first cuc :) need your advice for my 75G tank. I have 40kg of LR in there as well.

I was thinking of getting the following:

a. snails: please advice which ones and how many?

b. 2 blue legged crabs: love the little critters but have read they eat snails :s

c. 1 emerald crab: love the look of it.. Can I get more?

d. Shrimp: either the scarlet cleaner or peppermint shrimp or both?

I have some hair algae also in my tank and found one small aiptasia growing. Can't wait to read the replies :) thanks!

Sounds good. For snails, check reefcleaners.org and divide their site recommendation for your size tank in half. They overestimate and send a LOT of extras.

The hermits will eventually kill your snails, no if ands or buts about it. Same with the emerald crab. While both species are scavengers, they are also opportunistic predators and will be happy to munch on some fresh escargot.

For shrimp, go with the skunk cleaner if you want something that is going to be out in the open and add some personality. Peppermints are more reclusive and nocturnal. But, in light of there being aiptasia in the tank, there is no harm in adding both.

Also, for the hair algae, a lettuce slug can help to control it.

Sounds good. For snails, check reefcleaners.org and divide their site recommendation for your size tank in half. They overestimate and send a LOT of extras.

The hermits will eventually kill your snails, no if ands or buts about it. Same with the emerald crab. While both species are scavengers, they are also opportunistic predators and will be happy to munch on some fresh escargot.

For shrimp, go with the skunk cleaner if you want something that is going to be out in the open and add some personality. Peppermints are more reclusive and nocturnal. But, in light of there being aiptasia in the tank, there is no harm in adding both.

Also, for the hair algae, a lettuce slug can help to control it.

+1. The only thing I would add is if you have substrate is to add 2 fighting conches and 7 nassarius snails. You can even add a serpent star (not green) to help with detritus.

I used turbos during my initial algae cycles and they did a great job, but if you have a lot of frags they will knock them over at the least, and like my sunnyD zoas drag them across the rock and kill a polyp or two. I now keep them in the sump and can move them back and forth with ease if I should need a little extra cleaning power in the DT.

I like a diverse package of snails, as they have their own methods/pace and algae they like most. Nassarius for sand mixing and cleaning, nerite and cerith for cleaning rock and glass, maybe also a conch or two as mentioned to clean the sand. Tiger tail cucumbers work well for this too but I would wait a while before getting one of those.

I like janitor(feeder) shrimp and peppermint, also my red emerald crab I think ate the peppermints he hasnt touched snails yet....he is also going in the fuge soon as he got huge and is a danger to more things now.

I started with a small CUC and added over time(and still am) but you could definitely go with one of the recomended packages from reefcleaners or soemwhere. Good luck, I think CUC's are fun.

Back