First fish?

wlr4

Would a little brown tang be alright for the first fish in my 75? Lr been cycling for awhile and the skimmers running, I think i'm ready for a fish but not sure what to get and don't want to fall into the damsel trap! I'm going to test the water first because I bought two blue chromis last week that died, but they were chewed up to begin with and I think my crab took care of one! Just want to see what some of you think, thanks!

Powder brown tang? IMO opinion it extremely challenging fish to keep. Ive never had any luck and rarely see them in tanks, but almost every tank has had one at one time or another (where do they all go?).

The guy that posted above you has no luck with any tangs whatsoever, so I would take his advice with a BIG grain of salt :). He couldn't even keep a yellow tang alive in his tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15454775#post15454775 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vietcu
The guy that posted above you has no luck with any tangs whatsoever, so I would take his advice with a BIG grain of salt :). He couldn't even keep a yellow tang alive in his tank.

:mad2:

The guy posting two above didn't have much luck with a tang either LOL. Tang can become very stressed out and get ick. I newly cycled tank may not be the best place for them IMO.
Phil

Oh comon I lost one tang because someone didn't give me enough greens for it Phil). :), sorry wlr4 for jacking your thread. Just having some fun

A clown would be good to start. Hardy fish. Make sure it is a fish you want. Don't just get a fish to see if the tank is ok. My 1st fish was a clown and I still have her 3 years late.
Phil

I say this. Whichever fish you decide on, make sure it's a fish you won't tire of down the road. I started, after Hermits and snails, with a Sailfin(desjardin)Tang. He has gone through incredible hardships what with tank crashes, tank splitting, being yanked into little styrofoam coolers for weeks, and he's still doing great! If I had it to do over, I would probably not go with him cause he gets a little big. The advice for spending time listing your favorites and choosing the most hardy from that list is(I think) good! Take your time.

you dont need a anemone for your clown or clowns it is not needed to keep them happy but is a good hardy fish to start a new tank with and great lil fish to keep for a long time good luck !!

I think the brown tang your thinking of is a Scopas Tang. I have one in my tank and love him. They are a hardier species of tang and think you would be alright. You should be able to find one for $20-$30. Buy some greens and soak it in vitamins once or twice a week to keep him healthy.

A clown is a good start, pretty a damsel with better clothes on. Try to find a tank raised clown also, they are less likely to get diseases.

I personlly dont think clownfish are good starter fish!They dont take the stress of a new tank well and they are very hard to treat because they get different disease then most fish.They also will not let any cleaner near them.
I would stick will chromis or something hardy
what about a foxface?

i've seen foxface fish sometimes, i'll have to look around. Hey Jeff any lr willing to sell?

I think that a clownfish is a perfect starter fish personally. As far as enjoyment goes, they are fun to watch, fairly hardy, look really cool and are overall just a great fish.

You could even get a pair to start with, but make sure you pick the ones you really like, because you pretty much won't be able to add anymore down the road as long as your first ones are still around.

Back