First introductions

mkoop

I added a pair of clownfish, 3 peppermint shrimp, and a dozen snails, the first inhabitants of my 180.

One clown seems to be doing very well, the other seems to be struggling sitting at the bottom and somewhat rocking back and forth. I have all lights off to try and de-stress him, ammonia is 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 0 ph 8.0.

I watched him for awhile earlier and he seemed fine for awhile at first, hiding out in a cave and exploring with the other clown. Went back and check on him and he was facing downward up against the acrylic in the corner of the tank about the mid way point. He then swam a bit and seemed to struggle getting slightly pulled toward one of the overflows? He swam away from that fine but is now just kind of hanging out at the bottom somewhat rocking back and forth. I think this poor guy got fairly stressed out, I floated for 15 min and added half cup of my water ever 5 minutes.

Here's hoping this little guy makes it through the night.

Much hope for the clown. I bet he will be okay though, they are pretty hardy, how old is the pair?

Just headed back down to check on them again, they both seem to be sprinting around now and staying very close. They sprinted for awhile and now they are both just hanging out on the right hand side of the left overflow doing some sort of swim bys flapping one another with their tails. I assume this is some sort of dominance thing or something along those lines I really have no idea.

As far as age, I am not sure, that is probably something I should start asking. My LFS said they came from Alpha Aquaculture (a place here in town that specializes in clowns). They had been in the LFS for a few weeks.

One is brighter and about 1"-1.25" the other had darker tones and is a bit smaller.

I can tell this is going to be a tough hobby for me being sentimental about a clown I've had for 6 hours. I'm more concerned about how these little guys are doing than getting any sleep tonight haha.

Anyhow on another note, I saw one of the peppermint shrimp I added crawling upside down like mission impossible in this cave that housed what I expected to be Aiptasia (It looked exactly like it however it was completely clear and on the surface of my sand). Needless to say I feel my suspicions of it being Aiptasia were correct as that peppermint shrimp had a good meal.

Both are fine and seem to be doing well this morning. They have been in tank for 12 ours, they wouldn't eat this morning but I'll try again tonight.

Back