Fish aggression. Exquisite wrasse.

blackthunda77

I have an established exquisite wrasse that is being a bully to a newly acquired pin tail wrasse I just added. I added the new wrasse in an acclimation box the first day. Day two the wrasse was released and lights were turned down/off. There was some aggression which I attributed to pecking order. Day 3 now and ot seems hes not letting up. I see no torn fins, but mostly flashing and bumping. Should I give it more time or should I try to yank out the exquisite and maybe banish him to the sump for a few weeks?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I had a similar issue recently and reduced aggression towards new fish by placing a mirror up against tank glass on one side. This took the aggression towards the reflection of the aggressor and after a few more days it all just settled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a similar issue recently and reduced aggression towards new fish by placing a mirror up against tank glass on one side. This took the aggression towards the reflection of the aggressor and after a few more days it all just settled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I placed a mirror on Sunday as well. Hopefully your right, and after a few more days the exquisite will lose interest. They are known to be on the peaceful side so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I would think that, in that huge tank, it would be okay.

In hindsight, the new wrasse probably should have stayed in the acclimation box a little longer...maybe a few days instead of one.

I know that doesn't help much. Good luck!

I would catch one or the other, and put them in an acclimation box. Try again in about a week.

The aggression should subside/lesson after 4-5 days and be completely gone in 2 weeks. If the new wrasse is not being injured, I'd let it play out (I have).

The aggression should subside/lesson after 4-5 days and be completely gone in 2 weeks. If the new wrasse is not being injured, I'd let it play out (I have).
Was just gonna post. Seems like the aggression has subsided substantially. I'd say less than 50%. The pintail is mixing up in the fold during feeding time and is getting his share of mysis and bloodworms.
07b78f8b35f9beab96cc08b971c68099.jpg
d8b588a8ef4d009e6bd4f51ef9c68e60.jpg

In the future, you can leave the new wrasse in the acclimation box for longer so that the current tank mates can get used to him/her. I've left wrasses in an acclimation box for a week with no issues.

Back