Fish Bullying

randychuah

So I have recently stocked up my new tank with fishes, and one of my Scopas Tang relentlessly chases the smaller Purple Tang, and for 3 consecutive days, been chasing non stop. The purple tang fins seems to be damaged from the scuffle. Attached photo of battle scars on the purple tang.

By luck I've managed to net the scopas and place him in the isolation tank (still within the DT). What are my options ? Assuming I don't want to return it to the LFS. Will keeping him in isolation for say, 5 days tone him down? Of will they start fighting again once reintroduced ?
fcbd7bea75fc02d66fa465eabcdc395f.jpg
3b3b91e8fb54d831dc6dd21dc857e977.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Probably need to keep it in isolation longer. It's going to depend on the personalities of the fish however. Whenever you return the scopas be ready to catch it again and return it to isolation. All three tangs look skinny and the yellow tang looks like it might have the beginnings of HLLE. For most fish a healthy body weight indicated by the curve across the face onto the back. If there is a line demarking the edge of the skull there is a weight problem. If the back is pinched to any degree behind the skull accentiateing it's outline the fish is underweight. If the back starts to hump up behind the skull the fish is overwieght. Beside getting your fish to tolerate each other another problem will be getting everyone fed evenly. In some cases I've used autofeeders at opposite ends of the tank set to feed small amounts at the same time so timid fish are able to get more.

Randy, how large is your DT that these 3 fish will be going into? Tangs are quite territorial and will go afterr others, specifically those of their species. All three of the tangs you have are the species Zebrasoma. They will not do well, IMHO.

You don't mention tank size. If the tank is too small for the number/disposition of the fish, there will be no peace.

Randy, how large is your DT that these 3 fish will be going into? Tangs are quite territorial and will go afterr others, specifically those of their species. All three of the tangs you have are the species Zebrasoma. They will not do well, IMHO.
Oh! Its a 120 Gallon tank

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

You can try a mirror so they will go for the reflection. Or you can try re aquascape to get rid of there territory.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sounds like your tank is six feet long so you should have fewer issues with Tang compatibility than if you had a four footer (75 or 90 gallon tank) - IF you introduce BOTH tangs in the tank at the same time.
But you'll have other people here argue that tangs REALLY need 180 gallon or larger tanks to get along peacefully if you're going to put in more than one.
As for me I have a Scopas tang in my 90 but he's the ONLY tang in the tank. Too risky to have more than that.
So I'm afraid yours might never get along.

Last edited:
Standard 120s are 4 feet long, which would be pushing it for one zebrasoma tang. You've got three. Your fish are miserable, stressed and starving. Do the right thing. Remove two.

I agree with others man, personally I want 15 tangs in my tank, just because I love how they look. Abd I learned it expencive way not to put alot of tangs in my tank. Lost over $2k worth of fish. Due to same reason I want them all in there. Right now I got 8 tangs in my tank. But I have 400 gallon tank. The only minor aggression I have is Achilles tank going after my gem tank. And it only happens just before they go to sleep.
As far as for you! You have more then 3 tangs in there. You have blue tang in there also. 4 fish in the 120 tank, yeah its going to be cramp for them. I mean, I hate to say it, but they will never get along. Its a fact for your tank. And just a thought, they are still babies in your tank, what will happen when they will grow up to 4-5"? (if they will make it)

You CAN keep three tangs in a tank that size, but they really need to be different genera. You have a purple (Zebrasoma xanthurum), a blue/hippo/regal (Paracanthurus hepatus), and a scopas (Zebrasoma scopas). Scopas in particular are noted to be aggressive to conspecifics, so you're probably going to need to choose between the scopas and the purple.

FWIW,
Kevin

Back