fish death

hasjef

I had a problem yesterday. The power went out for 16 hrs. and I had five heathly fish die for no apparent reason. Any ideas as to what happened?

I'm guessing the lack of circulation and heating for 16 hours had something to do with it.:confused:

yeah they probably suffocated. it would have been the biggest ones that went first. sorry for the loss.

Assuming your temperature remained fairly stable, the most likely cause of death is loss of oxygenation in the water. You need some type of backup system to run a pump to agitate the water surface.

Joyce

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15480786#post15480786 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Macimage
Assuming your temperature remained fairly stable, the most likely cause of death is loss of oxygenation in the water. You need some type of backup system to run a pump to agitate the water surface.

Joyce

+1

I know that I said it before and I'll say it again. I don't see how anyone can spend thousands on a setup and not spend $200.00 for a generator from home depot. In fact I have also posted that when I walked into a pawn shop, there were 2 generators for sale for around $125.00 and 1 looked brand new. A lot of contractors are out of work and are pawning them. Mine saved my tank at least 3 times in as many years. Mine runs my tank powerheads and lights and heater as well as the fridge and a couple house lights and the TV and when the cable was out we had DVDs. When you consider all that you have spent on the tank and equipment and your animals, it really is cheap SECURITY.

A generator is a must have, but you also need some type of backup that will kick in until you can get home to run your generator.

Joyce

The higher the tank temp gets, the less oxygen there is in the water.

I dont know what size tank you have ( you dont post it ).

I always have a air pump & air stone in my tanks. I also have a battery backup air supply.

It works off of batteries, but you plug it into the electricity. As soon as the power goes out, the battery aip pump kicks in.

I can also go into the APC battery backups. The kind that you use for a computer.

I run everything through the APC battery backup units. If the power goes out. they will keep the pumps running for about 4 hours.

Since I own my own business I have 6 generators, I always have one at home. If we have a power outage, my wife or I can just fire one up. It will also keep the refrigerator..Freezer & lights working.

A small $300.00 generator is a very small investment to save your tank.

Back