Fish food

I thaw and rinse 1 to 2 days worth.Istore it in the frige in about 2 inches of ro/water.

Tom,

You might not want to thaw and store food in fresh water. I hear its bad for a fish's digestive system. I always use saltwater from my tank.

Its not a good idea to store at all. The nutrient value of it does go down and if you wait too long the food will go bad. I only break out and thaw what I can feed in one shot. One feeding for all my fish is about 1/2lb of food.

Thanks for your ideasChris and GM aquarium.
I chop up 8oz flats of food into 12 portions(blood worm, mysis,brine,bloodworm and cyclopeeze). I work fast so it stays forzen. Wrap the portions in foil and put them back in the freezer. Take a porion out and put it in a plastic coffe can filled with chloinated tap water to thaw. Dump it through a brineshrimp net and put the slurry bak into the container add an inch of ro/di and some garlic extreme. This portion last two to three feedings for all of the tanks. I feed 2x per day.Generally any food for people or fish is ok for a couple of days of refrigeration.
I'll research the fresh water vs tank water issue. Is there any concern about bacteria in the tank water?
I use the chlorinated tap water to rinse/thaw based on the recommendations from a study in the Nov 2006 issue of Coral magazine. The researchers found that most frozen aquarium foods had vibrio bacteria even when they were continuously frozen which could harm fish and reccomended the use of tap water as a control.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11636460#post11636460 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GMaquarium
One feeding for all my fish is about 1/2lb of food.
Curiosity - 1/2lb of fish food is ALOT! What is the fish load and tank size?

Back