Fish for a 75 gallon

patriots81

Hey, I was looking for suggestions for fish for my 75 gallon reef tank. I already have 2 clowns and a lawnmower blenny in it. I will probably get rid of the blenny though. Any suggestions?

yellow tang, hippo tang, powder blue tang, powder brown tang ,coral beauty angel ,flame angel, diamond gobey,sandsiftting gobey, dispar anthians(best kept in groups of 3) mabey a pair of pyjama cardinals or the black stripe cardinals
those are just a few fssssssss

right, i was thinking of a hippo and a yellow tang but i think that that might be too much. Also, probably not the angels because I have corals, unless they were reef safe.

hippo tangs get really big......i would do a centropyge angel because i like them a lot more then corals. but if your worried about corals i would do anthias and a goby or something.

I love the hippo yellow tang combo, and remember you can always just fish the hippo out and sell him. But anthias are cool fish as well. Also look into blue reef chromis is what I think they are called. They also are a very cool type of fish to school. Also a fair amount of angels can and will stay reef safe as long as they are well fed and monitered.

Ben

keep the lawnmower they dont bother anything and they help with algee, the pj cardnals in groups are peaceful and always out never hide

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15416679#post15416679 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ilikelps
I love the hippo yellow tang combo, and remember you can always just fish the hippo out and sell him. But anthias are cool fish as well. Also look into blue reef chromis is what I think they are called. They also are a very cool type of fish to school. Also a fair amount of angels can and will stay reef safe as long as they are well fed and monitered.

Ben

sorry, but i don't think this is good advice at all. you want to get a fish that will comfortably live it's whole life in your tank. don't get a fish that you know is going to outgrow your tank and your going to have to remove it in the future. it's unnecessary stress your putting on the fish. also it can be very hard to catch a fish out of a tank without taking it apart. unless you a SURE you are going to upgrade in the future i wouldn't do it. also angels aren't always reefsafe even if they are well fed. i feed my angel 5-6 times a day and he still eats most of my LPS and picks at my SPS enough that they don't have any PE.

Bouvier's Top 10 List (extended version):

1. A pair of fire fish (or two that appear to get along in the store) either purple or regular - cheap, easy, and peaceful. I did have one male kill another male though...

2. Yellow Headed Jawfish - really cool inexpensive fish with tons of personality (if you have a 3 inch + sand bed and no pistol shrimp and a FULLY covered tank). I think they watch you as much as you was them...

3. Pair or trio of fairy wrasse. On Live aquaria you can stumble on some more rare female fairy wrasse (I had to hold back many a time). It seems that females are rarely collected, but if you could have a nice big male Red Hooded Fairy Wrasse and two females (which I did before they found a crack in my cover - sob) the interaction and display the male puts on is worth the extra bucks. Pricey, but I'm a big fan.

4. 1 Atlantic Pygmy Angel. Cute, small, colorful, always moving/grazing and might not eat all of your coral - just some. I've actually had great luck with most dwarf angels not eating my coral.

5. 6 line wrasse. Cheap, colorful, easy, relatively peaceful. They'll prowl the rock for anything that moves, so watch out for your pod population...they may even eat bad flat worms and bristleworms.

6. Orchid Dottyback aka Fridmani Dottyback. No other fish is BRIGHT purple like this...mean as hell though.

7. If you don't have too many ornamental shrimps, hawkfish are cool - flame hawk, long nose, etc. They eat stuff (your small fish and pricey shrimp), but are fun to watch. They will sit on your coral.

8. Green Clown Goby. Nuff said - super cool fish. I will get many more in the future.

9. If you don't go down the Jawfish route (just look at a bluespotted jawfish and TRY not to buy it!!), I would consider a pinkbar goby paired with a tiger pistol shrimp - or whichever shrimp they are normally paired with. When this symbiotic relationship happens, the pistol shrimp/goby pair is freaking great. I have a 10 gallon dedicated to a "high finned red banded goby" paired with a randalls shrimp...going strong for 8 months now. The sand bed is an imporant detail here.

NOTE: I don't think that you could easily have both a goby/shrimp pair and a jawfish...jawfish freak easily and my pistol shrimps tear up the entire bottom of all my tanks.

10. Last, but not least, the bi-color blenny. These little guys are adorable, inexpensive, graze algae (just like your lawnmower).

I'll shut up now...

Last edited:
fishkid makes a good point, and its comes down to what you think is right, I personally belive that removing a fish when it becomes to large is not a problem, but others will point out the stress of doing this and moving the fish from one tank which is very true. You just have to wiegh the risks I geuss.

I have a hippo in a 56g collum tank been in there 2 years and is not even close to outgrowing the tank the hippo is a great looking fish but they do hide alot and I think you would be fine with your choices and keep the lawn mower they are great

Back